So I did a thing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvasek

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I brewed a 10 gal of Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier (10.5 wheat, 9.5 2row, 8oz date Munich with 2x wlp351) it seems like it is done fermenting but the SG is 1.023 about 10 more than it should be. I have no ideas other than keg or get another packet and go for gold with that. Help, and go!

You should have about 8 times more yeast in there now than you pitched originally. I don't foresee adding 1 more (9x) will help all that much.

What kind of temperature control do you have?

right now its in an igloo cooler to try and keep it consistent, its at about 69 deg and holding.

Shake it. Let it sit way longer. Continue/start to take gravity readings. A big beer like that will be way better if you just let it sit for a month. What’s the gravity btw?

It's a 10 gallon recipe, so not really big. OG should have been around 1.058.

If you can get it up to 72F for a couple of days, I'd see if that wakes them up. If not, try 75F. They've already chewed through 80% of the potential sugar there so ester production isn't a big risk any more. It's possible your wort just wasn't as fermentable as normal for some reason though.

About 2 weeks ago I brewed a 10 gal of Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier (10.5 wheat, 9.5 2row, 8oz date Munich with 2x wlp351) it seems like it is done fermenting but the SG is 1.023 about 10 more than it should be. I have no ideas other than keg or get another packet and go for gold with that. Help, and go!

Mash temperature and duration are needed. Mashing high will get a less fermentable wort.

While it may be a bit sweeter than you like, it will be OK if you keg. If bottling I'd be more worried about the fermentation restarting in the bottle and making bottle bombs.

Back