So how can I . . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepFL

ShepFL
Reaction score
Convert a 10 gallon vintage milk can into beer keg?

Objective: Have it ride around in back of 1949 GMC 1/2 pickup (270 rebuild underway) and share HB at friends place. Truck is named Home Brew'd so I want something to tie both "worlds" together.

Goals:
Keep milk can vintage look
Keep LHMS clone cold :)
Paint it orange and black with GMC script logo

Share your thoughts!

Picture?
Can you tig weld?
Looking to use a simple party tap/ or something more?
Want to pressurize with air or CO2?

Like this?
attachment.php

Likely soldered with soft solder, and never designed to be pressurized. Likely hard to sanitize at this point.

Me? I'd do some kind of mini keg inserted inside the milk can.

Plasma cut the can cleanly, put a hinge on the backside out of sight, or better weld in a fitted coupler to the "top" fits snugly like ajar or can.

Open milk can, drop in mini keg, put milk can top back on and run the picnic tap out the top of milk can.

milk can.JPG

So thinking about this more this morning after coffee...
same basic idea with a mini keg.. but just cut the bottom out of the milk can.. set it down over the mini keg and run the picnic tap up through the top.

You could even weld or screw in a holder for the tap spigot so it stayed right there at the top of the can under the lid.. no digging into the can to find it.

Nice idea over all for your show car.. Please post up what you finalize as a way to do this, and how the serving of beer works out.

Awesome idea!!
Thanks - could put it right over a corny I think. Will have to check dimensions.

So thinking about this more this morning after coffee...
same basic idea with a mini keg.. but just cut the bottom out of the milk can.. set it down over the mini keg and run the picnic tap up through the top.

You could even weld or screw in a holder for the tap spigot so it stayed right there at the top of the can under the lid.. no digging into the can to find it.

Nice idea over all for your show car.. Please post up what you finalize as a way to do this, and how the serving of beer works out.

I have a feeling the 5 gallon cornelius is a little too tall. If so check out the 3 gallon cornelius kegs. Betting that is short enough with roon to spare up top. Also might wanna consider a cooling sleeve around it.

Back