So happy to join this group! Hopefully, some easy questions to start with ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevoBrewhead

Reaction score
I look forward to using this forum and sharing the fun of making beer at home with everyone!

I love IPA's! And received some nice beer making tools for my last birthday. The equipment sat there ... I read stuff .. picked apart the contents of the kits ... and felt so overwhelmed by all of it that I fell into the 'paralysis of analysis' trap. It sat for months. It was a 5 gallon kit with all of the doo-dads but I found it very hard to get started! So I decided to start out small - doing a 1 gallon kit. Not too bad - and those who I shared "my" beer with thought it was decent enough. I then plodded thru my first 5 gallon batch .. again, not bad at all. Then I tried a 2 gallon Mr. Beer batch. All resultant beer was much better than I had expected, but not as good as what I buy in 6 and 4 packs.

I now have a 2nd Mr. Beer kit in the fermentation stage. I plan to "dry hop" it after the 10 day period to see what that does to enhance things. I also have a 5 gallon Double IPA kit from Brewer's Best that I plan to start in the next few days. It's using specialty grains of caramel and carapil, light LME, and corn sugar along with (3) x 1 oz. of Amarillo and (1) 2 oz. Cascade hop pellets. So far so good, right? What is really bugging me .. and here's my first question for everyone ... they are showing the IBU number at 100+! It's a 60 minute boil with the Amarillo spread out at 60, 45, and 15 minutes. The 2 ounces of Cascade are added at the t-10 minute mark. I dislike very bitter finishing beer. I entered the recipe into "BeerTarget" and it's coming up with an IBU number of 67 - which I like. So is the BB stated IBU number wrong? Should I play it safe and push down the Amarillo steps and maybe dry-hop the cascade - to get a hoppier beer with less bitterness?

To those on the east coast, one of my favorite DIPA's is Lot#6 from Evolution Brewing in Salisbury, MD. If you've had it .. that's what I am trying to shoot for here. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Go with what BeerTarget is telling you. It's going to be more accurate, as long as you are using AA% for the actual hops you have. If strong bittering is not your thing, you could add the bittering charges later, much later actually, and end up with a nice brew that is big on hop flavor and aroma and not so big on the bittering.

Maybe something like... move the 60m charge to 30m; move the 45m charge to 20m, move the 15m charge to 10m. Add the Cascade at flameout. Dry hop per the recipe. You'll end up with a sweeter, more hop forward brew, without a lot of bitterness, though there should still be enough to keep it interesting.

Thanks LLB! Sounds like a smart adjustment. Any experiences with conical fermenters?

No, not with true conicals. I have a SS Brewtech Brewbucket and really like it. I went with that over a conical because it would fit in my ferm chamber, whereas a conical wouldn't.

Welcome to HBT!

Move all your additions to less than ten minutes and double up flame out and whirlpool. Makes a world of difference.

Search flameout addition and whirlpool here on HBT!

Latest posts

Back