So do you interpret the beersmith "fermentation an aging" graph?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmack

Reaction score
So I use beersmith.... Under the fermentation tab on my recipe there is a graph. Not sure how to describe it, but it has 3 different quadrants. The first and farthest to the left, and it looks like approx- 1/4 of the fermentation/ conditioning cycle, says 67 degrees Fahrenheit. The quadrant next to it, which looks like the next stage of fermentation says also 67 degrees Fahrenheit . The next quadrant labeled "conditioning " says 65 degrees Fahrenheit . My issue is it gives no time spans on threes cycles. Any one have some input?

Personally, I find that graph to be useless. Seems more like there was some blank space on that tab that needed something in it, so that got created.

I suppose if you wanted to start fermentation at one temp and end at a different temp, that sloped line would remind you that you need to make that temp change.

meevoo said:
Personally, I find that graph to be useless. Seems more like there was some blank space on that tab that needed something in it, so that got created.

I suppose if you wanted to start fermentation at one temp and end at a different temp, that sloped line would remind you that you need to make that temp change.

Yeah it kinda looks like maybe the first section is primary, the second secondary... I've been fermenting the primary at around 16C, but according to that chart I should be up around 19.5C. My concern is too many esters and fussels. Any thoughts?

You edit this info from the fermentation profile under the graph. Like everything in Beersmith you can save your own fermentation profiles if you don't like what they have as the defaults.

chickypad said:
You edit this info from the fermentation profile under the graph. Like everything in Beersmith you can save your own fermentation profiles if you don't like what they have as the defaults.

What are your thoughts on the 67F they recommend for primary on an IPA with safe ale us 05?

It's certainly within range. I usually ferment the Chico strains at 65 to 66 - that's beer temp not ambient.

chickypad said:
It's certainly within range. I usually ferment the Chico strains at 65 to 66 - that's beer temp not ambient.

Ok thanks for the input, I'm gonna go with it. The temp probe is taped to my carboy and has a foam insulator over the outside so I should be good.

Back