so close now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
I got a beautiful new shiny aluminum 20 LB co2 cylinder from SIMGO for only $143 + $15 shipping.

I now have it filled and regulator attached, co2 line going into side of fridge, and 2 x 4" shanks with 757s perls attached through the door. :ban:

only thing left is to get me a manifold. I bought a simple T splitter for the co2 lines but now I realise that I cannot pressure one keg at a time, and must have two in there. once I get a brass manifold with shut offs, I will be in business. :)

I have 2 5gal hobgoblin , 1 5gal frosthammer ale, and 1 5gal of eds apfelwein, all crystal clear in fermentors for 2.5 months .:rockin:

If you put a QD on the end of each line, you can pressurize one at a time, just pop the QD off the one you're not using, it doesn't let gas through unless it's depressed.

Okay so now I have all connections together and one keg on tap. :) sweeeeet! I am pretty happy to finally have this all setup.

one more question. I spread soapy water over the regulator connections to see if there were leaks and I see no bubbles at all... however, I do hear a very faint hiss when i get my ear way down close to the regulator and co02 tank.
Is that normal?

there should only be a hiss if the regulator is pushing co2 so if there is no leak, once the pressure in the lines, etc is normalized, it should be silent. Some regulators need a gasket between the reg and tank, some don't. I've had luck with the plastic washers. ALso make sure the gas valve on the tank is opened all the way, sometimes those valves can leak at in-between settings.

ah, I see.... thanks.

I went back after a while and it is silent. must have been just slightly / slowly pressuring up after the pint I poured.

hey another question (everything is working flawlessly with the QD on the second line)

I want to force carb a second keg while still drinking the one I have tapped... can I just connect it, turn up the juice to 30lb or so, wait for it to get there, then Disconnect and set aside for 2 days?
Meanwhile just release some pressure from the tapped one to be sure it is back at 12lb where i want it?

thanks,

You can disconnect the carbed one and still serve a few beers without losing too much pressure. If you take the one keg to 30 and disconnect, it will absorb some of that pressure and then level off. it would be more ideal to have constant pressure on it, but you can top it off every day or two until you reach your intended level of carbonation. This is where a secondary regulator would be handy. I don't have one either but it would be nice. I just wait 1-2 weeks at serving pressure and it works out fine.

Back