British Brown Ale Snowfall Pub Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whip

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1099 Brittish Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter
2 stage/1300ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
24ish
Color
Beautiful Brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
14 bottle conditioning
Tasting Notes
See below
I got this recipe from one of my local shops, http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/ although they call it an English Pub Ale

8.5lbs Munton's Maris Otter
.5lbs Thomas Fawcett Crystal 45L
.25lbs Hugh Baird Crystal 15L
.125lbs Hugh Baid Crystal 130L
1oz Pilgrim - 10.5%AA @60min
.5oz Pilgrim - 10.5%AA @10min
.5oz Pilgrim - 10.5%AA @0min

OG - 1.058
FG - 1.008
6.59% ABV

Mash for 60 min @ 148F with 3 gallons of water
60 min boil time.
20 minute fly sparge to 6.5 gallons in the boil kettle.

Originally I brewed this with regular tap water. But the last time I brewed it we had a monster snow storm here in PA. Well with 36" of clean snow laying around, I decided to do something special. I used nothing but melted snow to brew this batch. Yesterday 2/22/2016, I did a one week carbonation test and popped a bottle. It was only slightly carbonated but it tasted FANTASTIC ! ! ! ! My favorite beer is New Castle. This brew almost perfectly matches the color, but the flavor is so much more robust. It is malty and just ever so slightly sweet with a little hint of floral flavors from the 1/2 oz of Pilgrim hops.

I enjoy this recipe so much it is in my regular brewing rotation. Every 2 weeks I am brewing this recipe. So if you are a New Castle lover, like I am, you are definetly going to want to give this recipe a shot !

The Snowfall Pub Ale is the bottle on the right, compared to a bottle of New Castle on the left.

SFPA.jpg

SFPAlabel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back