Snow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look, you northern whiners:
  • you don't have to wear SPF30 through the winter.
  • you don't worry about aligators while lake fishing.
  • you aren't distracted year round from bikinis / short shorts / partying co-eds
  • you don't have to mow and trim hedges all year round
  • you get to shut down the pool half the year, we can't
  • you get to build snow men, we are stuck making sandcastles
  • we almost never get a chance to wear all the seasonal fashions (long pants, flannel anything, shoes)

Really?

Took a nasty spill on some ice last night. Arm is all sorts of pain.

Truck overheated this morning and got to stand outside for a few hours waiting for the tow truck in -8 or so windchill.

I'm ready for spring.

Took a nasty spill on some ice last night. Arm is all sorts of pain.

Pretty sure it looked something like this...

cute-adorable-toddler-falls-on-ice-walking.gif

Less than an inch predicted yesterday....8 inches later and it's 5 degrees with a -8 wind chill. Had to go locate the buried mailbox this morning. I have kept up with shoveling a network of paths for the dogs which they can no longer see over the tops.

I have now resigned myself to endless snow and below zero temps until mid-May.

I hate winter.

Here is one reason I love to go south for a couple of months.

My porch in the summer: (@pappers who ate dinner there!)
View attachment 248561

Today:
View attachment 248562

This is the view from my dining room window. Ugh!

It's been a secret dream of mine to move to the UP from the Western LP for the last year or so (secret dream cuz I know my wife would shoot down the dream real quick if I ever mentioned it)... but after seeing that, I'm not so sure now. :mug:

Got several more inches of snow overnight & teens cold. And those black drum are the salt water version of the drum we catch in Lake Erie. To dang many of'em. We call'em Sheephead. Considered a nuisance species around here.

Got several more inches of snow overnight & teens cold. And those black drum are the salt water version of the drum we catch in Lake Erie. To dang many of'em. We call'em Sheephead. Considered a nuisance species around here.

No, these are black drum. Sheepshead look similar, except for the mouth and the stripes are a bit different. There are sheepshead here, too, but they eat barnacles so they are around docks and piers mostly.

Sorry for the snow and cold you're having- we're heading home in about a month, and I'm already dreading it! It's warm and sunny here today, about 75 degrees.

I just got in from a bike ride while it was cooler and nice.

Ha, yeah. Our daughter called from her bake shop in Hollywood last night. hot there, like 80's if I heard her right. She was talking on speaker phone while working & customers racket drowning out some of the conversation. I assumed the two species were basically the same, idk? Anyway, they have the same coloring as the common Carp around here. They'll eat just about anything. Even caught them on bass/perch lures too. They root around near the bottom & stir the silt up in the shallows as well. If I were you, I'd wait till around the end of March to come back...at least! Weather is a little weird around here. We have winter, then some really crappy weather till summer.

Brewed a chocolate stout this morning, now killing time before I go out and snowblow after yesterday's blowing. about 0 degrees out right now. Making sure the plow trucks are done going down our street.

In the lakes region of New Hampshire it was -8 this am and -30 with wind. This dude is ready for spring!

Thursday we are set to have a high of -2.

Funny, I don't think it feels that cold now. Last night I didn't even turn my electric blanket on.

I hope spring comes soon though, cause I want to brew up a Witbier to have on tap.

We are having a very mild winter. Less than a foot of snow on the ground. Only one day where the temperature was less than -20°F. Must be more snow and cold to the far north though, grey owl has been hanging out in our yard for a few weeks.

The cold no longer feels cold and when it snows, any new accumulation just collects on top of the 6'+ piles. Breaking out the shorts this weekend if it does hit 30*.

Spent a couple hours shoveling today. Is it bad that I was slightly annoyed my neighbor came by when I was half done and used his snow flinger to help me finish. Then I decided to gain some goodwill with a different neighbor so I shoveled his driveway, path and cars free. Then I did the same for one more neighbor. I stopped then because I ran out of gas. Im tired.

It is as if the snow is taunting us with lots of flakes and no actual snow. Not that I want more snow... I would just like to see the sunshine. Please.

Not that FAKE sunshine like we had yesterday, either. Looks wonderful, then you step outside and it's still COLD!

ok, I lied, I'll still take that fake sunshine over the gloom of mid-winter...

It's settled at 15F since this morning here. A lot warmer than -23 yesterday. But going way back down tomorrow. At least my kottbusser warmed a little to finish off a few more points by the weekend.

Supposed to be 3 above for tomorrow, instead of the -3 they NOAA claimed the other day. Should be about -20 Tomorrow night though, then we warm up to about... 11 on Friday and almost 30 on Saturday just in time for the winter carnival!

We've had mild snow. I haven't shoveled the roof at all this year.

Last year the snow and ice leaked through the roof of the school and the ceiling in one corner broke through and flooded the floor. Luckily I had shop vacs on hand for the dunk tank. And people in town won't vote to fix the roof. Maybe some of them got to see the condition they are in !

Back