Snow!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love big snowstorms with deep snow where no one can get around if I can stay home. Problem is my job. They usually start calling people into work if it looks like we would not be able to make it in should something crap out. We have to make sure we have enough supplies here to support 4 people for 3 days I think. Cots, linnens, food, etc. No calls to prepare yet but it is early, they may start that crap tomorrow moring when it is expected to begin here.

We have about 9 inches of snow out here in Leesburg. Still snowing. My black dogs turn white everytime they go out to play!

I haven't brewed in about 2 months it depressing . I even unplugged the kegerator and I am using the little Vissani kegerator only one keg left in the pipeline looks like I will be drinking store bought soon. Just no time with the holidays . I can't even get to the Chevelle I cut the drivers floor pan out 3 weeks ago and I have the replacement all ready to weld in. It feels like I go to bed Friday night and wake up to Monday morning.

And on top of it SWMBO is having a crap load of kids and parents over on Sunday to bake friggin cookies ...... I'm just going to start drinking tonight. :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

grab the dad's and like minded mothers and take them out to the garage for some brewing...

we got about inches here so far, and i just got a call from the lagering fridge delivery people... no delivrys today :p

Stuck in the snow here too!
Couldn't make it to the brew shop before closing yesterday due to traffic to pick up enough supplies for brewing (one mans milk and bread is anothers 2 row and yeast) Instead I will be doing a small test batch that I have had up my sleve for a while by using a lot of leftovers from previous batches.
This should be interesting.

One Gallon IIPA
14-C Imperial IPA
Date: 12/18/09

Original Gravity: 1.092 (1.070 - 1.090)
Terminal Gravity: 1.023 (1.010 - 1.020)
Color: 17.04 (8.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 9.16% (7.5% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 122.1 (60.0 - 120.0)

Ingredients:
1.25 lb Dry Light
.5 lb American Caramel 40°L
.5 lb White Table Sugar (Sucrose)
.35 oz Chinook (11.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Amarillo (7.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
.25 oz Fuggle (5.1%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
.5 oz Centennial (8.7%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min

I don't have any ingredients for a brew, so I'm making chili instead. It's windy, cold and still snowing! Will have to drink some of my blond batch this afternoon with the chili!

It's still snowing like crazy here in Alexandria. We live up on the 14th floor of a high-rise condo and can barely see to the ground. No idea how much is piled up down there, I'm guessing 6-8 inches from what I can see on and around cars in the parking lot.

I'm brewing a honey orange hefe today, I doughed in about 35 minutes ago, I brew in the kitchen so I'm toasty and warm as I watch the whiteout.

I just made my starter today, so if I brew this weekend, it will be tomorrow...

We look like we got a good 4-6 inches already, and there is no sign of it letting up.

Made a starter yesterday from washed 1098 stepped it up this morning and will brew a IPA tonight or tomorrow morning while snowed in we are expecting 8 to 12 inches here in the city.

So does the Mason Dixon line make DE a northern state and MD a southern since it runs north to south unlike the east to west boarder of Penn ... Always wondered about that

Yes, MD is considered southern. MD is still very rural in most areas... and we still see a lot of Son of the South flags when we drive through.

I wonder if mdhb is open today?

No idea... I'm sure glad I stopped in there on Thursday on my way home from Baltimore... I have another batch I could make tomorrow as well but I think SWMBO would kill me, she wants to use the kitchen to bake Xmas cookies

dunno......someone on another message board described DC like this... where northern hospitality meets southern efficiency :D

Now that is funny!!! I'm in northern Virginia and have about 14 inches in my yard...

I'm going to bottle this weekend, probably today. I think I will brew a pale ale tomorrow.

Ok, someone answer me this: Why do I have an urge to go AG, when my very 1st batch (extract) will be bottled today, and my 2nd batch (extract) gets brewed tomorrow? Seems a little insane to me....

dang ... my all grain equipment is scheduled to get here on Wednesday ... why didn't I order a few days earlier?! Nothin like being snowed in with no ingredients & thinking about tons of new gear sitting on a truck somewhere. Been pacing around all morning watching the snow pile up around us.

Now that is funny!!!

I'm going to bottle this weekend, probably today. I think I will brew a pale ale tomorrow.

Ok, someone answer me this: Why do I have an urge to go AG, when my very 1st batch (extract) will be bottled today, and my 2nd batch (extract) gets brewed tomorrow? Seems a little insane to me....

cuz its natural evolution!

dang ... my all grain equipment is scheduled to get here on Wednesday ... why didn't I order a few days earlier?! Nothin like being snowed in with no ingredients & thinking about tons of new gear sitting on a truck somewhere. Been pacing around all morning watching the snow pile up around us.
that does suck, but they wouldn't deliver it today anyways :(

I have decided its snowing tooooo hard! so im gonna do 2 3.5 G boils, then combine after 30 min! woooo last min change of plans :)

Eh, I just kegged 10G of brown ale and transferred an old ale. After cleaning fermenters I think I'm done for the day.

Stuck in Portland ME, for another night. All my flights cancelled today. So, stuck in the hotel again and cant brew. Hmm... So might as well as do some reading on the next brew. (Trappist)

I think Ill brew like a Monk!

Now that is funny!!! I'm in northern Virginia and have about 14 inches in my yard...

I only brewed one extract batch and then started AG... I like to jump right into the deep end though, and I'm glad I did. I've got about a dozen or so brews under my belt now and I have never regretted not really learning anything about extract brewing. Brewing AG is really not difficult at all, it just adds some time and requires a little extra storage space.

Where in NOVA are you? If you ever want to see an AG brew session before you make the switch, you're welcome to partake in a brew session with me.

I have had to shovel a path out the backdoor and across the deck to the yard for the dogs. So what do they do instead of dragging their junk thru the snow?... They pee on the deck! grrrrr
We are at approximately 24" of snow now.
Seriously considering moving my pale ale to a secondary and brewing my 2nd batch. I would have to rig something for a second airlock since I only have 1.

My folks live just outside Baltimore and just called to say they have 26ish inches of snow. Unreal.

i said screw the brewing... no way. i bottled about 7 cases of beer, freeing up 5 kegs, then made chili. there's only 3 things to do in a blizzard.... cook, make beer, or make babies. thanks to my urologist, that last one won't happen. i'm not crazy enough to make beer.

We are just gettiing started snowing here and they say 8-14" with high gusts of wind. Time to go play in the basement and build my Electric HLT!

I was thinking about it (brewing), but I have no yeast and no propane. I might try and get up to MDHB tomorrow and brew something. My hoses are frozen solid so I guess I would probably explore the "no chill" method. I DID make a beer run today though! I was jonzing for an IPA and had none on tap.

Brewed a belgian IPA this afternoon used the snow to cool it. Worked real well. I tried to post a photo but wasn't able for some reason.

OMG quit wining j/k. We're finally above zero up in da midwest der (MN). And hardly any snow. Just not right to have negative temps and no snow. At least ice fishing is just around the corner. LOL At least you can use the snow to cool your wort.

shoot we've had people on the ice for a week now!

and to those whose garden hoses froze,,disconnect them, coil as well as possible and put them in the shower to thaw.

All we are expecting here is either out and out rain or freezing rain for Monday.
We had a scat of snow Saturday which turned to freezing rain, wasn't much to it.
We got about 5 inches.
I drove to my parents house an hour and a half away, passing snow ploughs on the way.

Wasn't intending on brewing but instead, picked up some Maine lobster that was flown in Friday night, boiled them and my father and myself had a feed. Scallops for Christmas eve wraped in Canadian Bacon and grilled on the BBQ.
And lots of Coffee Porter to wash it down with.

metro isnt running still..... schools all closed!

OPM has called work for tomorrow! SNOW DAY!!!!

First thing I thought of when I saw OPM was, maybe I should go to Clap's house so we can brew. In-laws are coming here on Monday so the house has to be clean or something apparently so no brewing.

First thing I thought of when I saw OPM was, maybe I should go to Clap's house so we can brew. In-laws are coming here on Monday so the house has to be clean or something apparently so no brewing.

lame! every IM i send to you bounces... dunno why! ill be doughing in around 11! (sleeeeeep)

i may get out and brew today. my HVAC decided to die yesterday, so I have a guy coming shortly to tell me how much i'm going to have to pay for a replace (not repair... too old). after that i'm going to pick up some kolsch yeast from my pro brewer friend, then if i brew, it'll be an american wheat for the MCAB in Feb.

btw, yunus... my IM bounced to you too. and you clicked "Like" on my facebook status about my HVAC dying :(

Back