Snow Day Clone - help with hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilesLong

Reaction score
I thought I would make up a batch, based on the info from their website. Seems pretty straight forward, however I am not sure what to do with the Styrian Goldings? Bittering only?

From the Website

ABV - 6.2%
IBU - 55
Calories - 190
Hops - Styrian Golding, Centennial, Cascade
Malts - Pale, C-80, Midnight Wheat

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
12.8 oz Midnight Wheat
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1.85 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.93 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.93 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] – Dry Hop
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] – Dry Hop
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wyeast #1056

I really enjoyed NB snow day and would also like to try a clone.

I plugged this into beersmith and it looks pretty good. I might bump up the midnight wheat and C-80 to 1 lb each and throw in 3-4 oz of black patent for chuckles.

Also, if you dont already have syrian goldings you might need to substitute. Maybe with willamette?

I am very interested in hearing how this turns out. I bought a 12pack of Snowday last night and love this stuff, my first thought was how to clone this. Please report back on how it turns out and how the side by side taste test goes. :)

So my lhbs did not have the midnight. I sub 120 L crystal for my method (50/ 50 all grain, extract). I have tried this before but forgot Irish moss so I ended up using gelatin for clarifying. Here's the deal, in this batch I used both moss and flocks. I think that what this is is too much transfer (kept every drop off of boil for more beer). Any input welcome, this photo pre-yeast 82f.

ForumRunner_20130311_103915.jpg

Fresh Brain Zombie ale?

So my lhbs did not have the midnight. I sub 120 L crystal for my method (50/ 50 all grain, extract). I have tried this before but forgot Irish moss so I ended up using gelatin for clarifying. Here's the deal, in this batch I used both moss and flocks. I think that what this is is too much transfer (kept every drop off of boil for more beer). Any input welcome, this photo pre-yeast 82f.

What did you do? I'm trying to figure out what you did. First using Crystal 120L because it's darker malt will still impart different flavors than Midnight wheat. I think you must have overdone the Whirlfloc. How much did you use? Why would you use both Whirlfloc with Irish moss? They are basically two forms of the same thing. So you probably used more than twice as much as you'd need. In that case you will create a big gummy mess. Live and learn. I think you would have been fine to not add any Irish Moss or Whirlfloc than to add too much. Let us know how it comes out after you rack it off to your secondary. I hope it doesn't interfere with your primary fermentation too much. Suggest you check your gravity after you rack it off and be careful not to gum up your siphon or racking cane when you do.

Primary is going nuts, I replaced bubbler with a blow off tube this morning. I know I double clarifier then added all of boil to primary, that is source of anomaly. 5" krusten and growing with safale 05.
As far as me using 120L instead of the midnight, just learning grains at this point. Deep amber in color, smells right going to have to wait to see on carmel taste and change in mouth feel. I'll add photo soon.

So bottled yesterday, the color was wrong due to LHBS substitution so new name Slushy IPA. Good clarity out of secondary but there was an extra 1/2 gal loss from increased trub. Smelled great, picture of final product to follow.

Second batch had Midnight Briess and used extra brewers gold for bittering, came out great. Cheers

Thatsimpleman - have you brewed this since? I have my first attempt at it kegged right now. Hoping to put it on tap this week. I wish I could still get the real thing to compare it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back