Snickerdoodle Porter/Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maltose

Reaction score
I'm interested in brewing a Snickerdoodle Porter or Stout for some friends.

I'd like to keep it as pure as possible (i.e. no artificial flavorings). I saw the graham cracker porter thread a little ways down and would like to stay away from adding a chemical concentrate to my beer.

I'm thinking heavy on the biscuit malt, some flaked oats, cinnamon, and maybe cinnamon sugar? I know cinnamon sugar and almost a vanilla flavor are what makes these cookies pop.

The question is, when should I add cinnamon sugar? I know it will throw my gravity up. Any ideas?

I don't think the sugar in the cinnamon sugar will be helpful for what you are trying to do. All it will do is get fermented and dry out the final product.

I would work to a relatively high mash temp, low attenuating yeast, and add the cinnamon at flame out. (At least that's when I add the spices to my pumpkin ale and pumpkin stout recipes, and it comes out pretty well).

Yeah, if you want the beer to be a little sweet, you'll want to add crystal malts. I think somewhere around crystal 40 should get the right biscuit flavor. Still, more than a pound for a 5 gallon batch will likely be too much.

You could also add a little lactose at bottling time. Since that's non-fermentable, it would provide you with a little residual sweetness. Bonus, it's milk sugar. So "milk and cookies"!

I think oats would still be good to give it some body, in addition to the high mast temp. Rolled, roasted, flaked?

You could either buy or bake several dozen actual cookies and mash it with your grain and even add some in the boil...I talk about it in this thread- Ginger Snap Brown Ale.

It's also been done successfully in the Iron Brewer competition with iced oatmeal cookies.

Next time I will also more than likely add a box worth to the boil towards flame out.

Back