SN Celebration Ale accidental OG 1.082!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutdaler

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here.. Just realized I messed up my Celebration Ale clone. I think I mistook the 12 lbs. of two row all grain recipe for 12 lbs. of LME #:-0 Now I've got an OG of 1.08! I'm scared that it's not going to ferment all the way and I have some questions. But first, let me share my noob, amalgamation of internet recipes with the accidental adjustment.

1 lb. Crystal 60
.5 lb. Carapils (both steeped @ 155 for 40 mins)
12 lbs! Light LME (I think they gave me Amber)
1 oz Chinook @ 60 mins
1 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Centennial @ 15
1 oz Cascade @ flame out
1 oz Cascade dry hop
1 oz Centennial dry hop

Almost two packets of Safale US-05 Started @ 72 degrees
Been fermenting in the garage @ 70 degrees for two days, vigorously but not overflowing (as it did with my last few brews in the glass carboy). Noticing an 'extra' layer above the yeast that looks not as thick, I totally forgot to add my whirlfloc or irish moss... @ 15

Seeing as my OG is at 1.08 instead of the expected 1.065, I am thinking that maybe I could add a little more hops to the dry hop part, maybe one more ounce of Chinook because I loved that smell. What do you think? Also, you'll notice I put about 1 and 3/4 packet of Safale-05 because my first brews came out too sweet and I don't feel confident about my starters yet. I don't have a stir plate and my house is warmed by fireplaces, so it was hard to have a consistent starter and I felt like I had no way to know if I was doing it right.

Anyways, I was going to primary for a week, then dry hops for four or five days also in the primary before bottling. Now I'm thinking about primary for two weeks, then into secondary for a week before dry hopping with three ounces total for four days. What do you guys think? Have I gotten myself into trouble or can I still make this a good, dry beer? What would you change at this point to make sure I don't end up with a sweet beer?
Any of you guys make a good Celebration before? What would you change about my recipe, assuming that I would use 8 or 9 lbs. of LME next time?

#:)

Give it at least three (3) weeks in the primary. Don't even bother taking sample readings for at least two (2) weeks. At this point 2 full packs of fresh US-05 should be OK. Expect the final OG to be around 1.02

Nice.. If I were to throw another packet in there, when should I do it? Now, or after I rack into a secondary? Would you guys use a secondary even though I can't clear it with CO2? Thanks for the replies..

I'd listen to GreatDayBeer. Since you're already in glass you can't primary too long even if you tried. Wait the two weeks, measure, add if necessary

Nice.. If I were to throw another packet in there, when should I do it? Now, or after I rack into a secondary? Would you guys use a secondary even though I can't clear it with CO2? Thanks for the replies..

Might be to late, but always rehydrate dry yeast in 80°F spring water. Pouring it in dry kills to many cells.

Adding more yeast now is just a waste of yeast. You have a ton of yeast in there ....... compared to the small packet. With alcohol and no O2, it will not reproduce.

I think you will be unlikely to get that to end below 1.020. I usually add some table sugar to my extract batches. It dries them out and lowers the FG. You could probably add 1.25 lbs of table sugar to that without much problem. Yes, it will increase your effective OG by about 10 points but will also lower the FG by 3 to 4 points.

Your beer should turn out fine.

Given the amount of hops and dry hops in your build it should not come off overly sweet.

Most important is to just give it as much time as it needs to fully ferment - 3 or 4 weeks in the primary is not an issue. I would dry hop in a secondary (always much debate on this).

Did you add the LME at the end of the boil?
If not, having a sweeter wort at the beginning of the boil kind will result in lower IBU as the alpha acids get less soluble as the gravity rises.

You'll probably end up with a more alcoolic, sweeter and less bitter beer but it can still be good.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Home Brew

I would have just cranked up the hops and made it a DIPA. Still not too late to increase dry hop though. I'd bump it to 4 oz. Yeast level is fine. Don't sweat it.

In my opinion you are just gonna end up with a really high ABV APA. Maybe a little light on the hop side but might turn out just fine. Centennial and Cascade are tasty together. Rock it bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sweet, I am going to dry hop it hard and hope for the best. Will rack to a secondary once it's around 1.02

I did actually add all of the malt in the beginning, I will be doing it differently next time, still new to this and learning all the time. Thanks for the replies guys, I will give an update once I measure the gravity, dry hop and bottle. I'm hoping it comes out good #:-0

Bottled today at 1.021 Used four ounces of hops total, centennial and cascade for dry hops, tastes pretty strong but good. I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple of weeks...

Latest posts

Back