S'mores Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyQuil

Reaction score
Hello all, sometime in the next week I plan on starting a S'mores mead for tasting next summer.

My basic plan is to ferment your very basic 3 lbs of honey with water to a gallon down to dryness using Fermaid K and a Montrachet yeast. Then I will add cocoa nibs to secondary for a month or two and back sweeten to taste. Then it will sit until at least 07/01/17. I'm just looking for a light hint of chocolate, graham cracker and marshmallow.

I know some of you have experimented with this so my questions:

1) Will cacao nibs give enough chocolate flavor and how much will be needed for one gallon?
2) Best way to get a graham cracker flavor outside of crushing up a few sleeves and dropping them in?
3) Marshmallow flavor. I live in upstate New York and getting meadowfoam honey isn't an option right now. Again, is there way to a hint of marshmallow in a mead without dropping in bags of marshmallows?

Thanks.

Marshmallow root! I wouldn't have an idea as to quantities as I've just learned this researching your question on google. Graham crackers? That's the tough one :)

Make a bochet, as it's said to taste like marshmallow. Maybe you can use a little Biscuit or home-toasted malt for the graham cracker.

Marshmallow root! I wouldn't have an idea as to quantities as I've just learned this researching your question on google. Graham crackers? That's the tough one :)

I'll try some from Amazon. Thanks.

Make a bochet, as it's said to taste like marshmallow. Maybe you can use a little Biscuit or home-toasted malt for the graham cracker.

You know I was actually thinking of making a regular mead with mallow root, nibs and whatever for the graham cracker and then also making a bochet with the same ingredients minus the root.

Now about using malt, would you add that to the primary fermentation or in the secondary? I've never brewed beer or used malt. In fact, my mead experience is a few batches of JAOM and some dry melomels.

Cocoa nibs should be fine. Use your intuition!
I would use about 4 oz of roasted nibs to a gallon for some chocolate flavor.

Thanks, I'll be ordering some from Amazon.

Read up on steeping grains in brewing. I'd get maybe 1/2lb of pale, toasted, or Crystal 30 malt. Steep them (in a muslin bag or strainer) and then remove. Use that as your mead water. I myself have never steeped grains (it's more of an extract brewing thing) so I can't give specific detail, but that'd be your best bet for a natural bready flavor that goes hand-in-hand with honey. Be sure the malt is crushed. You can order it that way from your local homebrew shop.

Backsweeten with Meadowfoam Honey , it naturally has a powder sugar/ marshmallow profile, expensive but so worth it.

Cocoa nibs will need vanilla bean or extract to get that chocolate quality you may be looking for.

Find some Organic Graham Crackers and throw them in secondary or boil them in your water for with primary.

Extra credit - add a touch of Lapsand Souchong Tea ( Pine Smoked chinese tea) for that campfire aroma 🤘

Backsweeten with Meadowfoam Honey , it naturally has a powder sugar/ marshmallow profile, expensive but so worth it.

Cocoa nibs will need vanilla bean or extract to get that chocolate quality you may be looking for.

Find some Organic Graham Crackers and throw them in secondary or boil them in your water for with primary.

Extra credit - add a touch of Lapsand Souchong Tea ( Pine Smoked chinese tea) for that campfire aroma 🤘
Just so you're aware, he hasn't been seen since Oct 28, 2019, so he probably made it, but who knows how it came out

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223_085605_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_085605_Chrome.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
Back