Smoking salt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatnhappy

Reaction score
Has anyone here smoked salt? I've had it before and really enjoyed it. I'm thinking about doing it next time I plug in the smoker

I've only done it once, on a whim and I'm undecided on my results.

I had extra space on the smoker, I think I had a steelhead filet on. I did not do any research prior. I took an unused steel splatter-shield, removed the plastic from the handle and poured some Himalayan rock salt on it during the smoke. I had the salt on the far end - low heat.

Not really impressed, but I wasn't really prepared. Probably 2 hrs of smoke at 175f. Slightly smoky hints, but nothing that really stood out.

I only smoke bath salts. :D

Havent smoked salt, but I do have some bourbon barrel smoked sugar that is amazing.

I want to do that too. Cold smoked or did you use some heat?
Unfortunately it wasnt something I smoked. I picked it up at a local distillery. I wouldnt have thought it was doing. I was wrong.

It has a heavy smoke/bourbon nose, but the smoke flavor is just a hint when the sugar hits your tounge. I dont get much bourbon at all on the tounge. It works great for rimming glasses and topping pastries

My rub recipe uses smoked salt. I create a aluminum foil pan and pour in Morton's salt, when the ribs are done 5 hours later the salt has a nice crust on the top.

So today while smoking ribs, I also smoked some raw sugar and salt. I made a shallow tinfoil pouch for each and smoked them for 4 hours at 225. The sugar is pretty smokey, but not the salt. Next time I will buy a couple of stainless splatter screens for more smoke flow

So today while smoking ribs, I also smoked some raw sugar and salt. I made a shallow tinfoil pouch for each and smoked them for 4 hours at 225. The sugar is pretty smokey, but not the salt. Next time I will buy a couple of stainless splatter screens for more smoke flow

Did you leave the top of the foil open? I used a tinfoil pan successfully in the past. I keep the salt below 1/4" and keep the top open. After a 5 hour smoke, the salt develops a nice crust.

I did and it did have a crust on top. I didn’t have smoke going the whole time it was in the smoker. Next time I’ll do smoke for 5 hours or so and I hope to get more smoke

What salt did you use? I use Morton's salt (fine grind).

Sorry, I misread your post. Since you did have a crust on top, your salt turned out fine. The salt isn't like a slab of meat, it won't absorb the smoke flavor.

Last edited:
I know it won’t be killer smokey, but I want to try to get more. I figure if I do more time and use something permeable, it will be more of what I’m looking for

Can’t wait to use the sugar. I’m making cornbread this weekend and I’m going to sprinkle it on top just before I take it out of the oven. A little smokey and a little sweet crunch

I use something like this for course salt, its just a few bucks in the kitchen utensil isle of most grocery stores. Then add to a grinder.
download.jpg

Smoke flavor is absorbed by moisture so dry salt will not get much smoke flavor. This is why you spray or baste meat while it is being smoked. You have to wet the salt down to get the smoke flavor to absorb into the salt. Here is the instructions from the BBQ guru.
20180707_002259.jpeg
20180707_002248.jpeg

I smoked some a few times and it didn't pick up to much. Spraying them turned out much better results!

Back