Smokey recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Well, I think my pumpkin pie mead is a bust. I'm still going to add the spices to some of it. But I want to split the batch and try a few things. So I'd like to hear y'alls thoughts on what to add to a mead that already has a smokey, earthy taste.

I did a Smoked Braggot that came out quite nice.

This is a 1 gallon batch. I plan to do this again this year, and tweak it. It was a little sweet, and I want to experiment with the hops a bit.

• 1.5 lb orange blossom honey
  • 0.2 lb buckwheat honey
  • 0.65 lb Dry amber malt
  • 0.55 lb smoked malt (milled)
  • 0.6 oz Saaz hops (60 min)
  • 0.1 oz Saaz hops (30 min)
  • 0.1 oz Brambling Cross hops (30 min)
  • 0.2 oz Brambling Cross hops (2 min)
  • 1 pkt Lavlin D47 yeast

Put smoked malt in with 1/2 gallon of water. Steeped for 1 hour between 152 - 144 ºF. Sparged. Brought wort to boil and added 0.6 oz Saaz hops. After 30 min, added 0.1 oz Saaz and 0.1 oz Brambling Cross. Added the remaining Brambling Cross with 2 minutes left (total boil time of 60 min.)

Added the honey, dry malt and water to 1 gallon and cooled must/wort in an iced bath until the temp reached 80 ºF. Rehydrated the yeast and pitched.

This had an explosive initial fermentation. I recommend doing it in a bucket or a Mr. Beer fermenter at first. A blowoff tube will not be enough, at least for the first few days.

At bottling, I added 3 Tbs. of maple syrup to carbonate.

My bochet turned out very smokey, I loved it. You could Carmelite some honey and add it in.

SG, a bit more of a review of what you have done. How long have you been working on this? A smokey earthy taste would be matched well with some small amount of dried elderberries. Sometimes all you have to do is add some time to your mead, since you put in spices and are fermenting a pumpkin it might just really need to be left in the back of the line for a while and see what it tastes like this summer or next fall. WVMJ

Back