Smoker chicken rub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Making some chicken wings for a party tonight. I've never made any type of chicken on the smoker.

Any help with a chicken rub recipe or technique?

What I see so far is coat chicken in olive oil, add rub. get smoker to 375 add chicken and smoke for 1 1/2 hours. Crisp in oven if I want after smoke...That's all I have

I was reading this is a pretty good rub, Meatheads Memphis Dust Rub
Someone said they used it for chicken even though its a pork rub

•3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
•3/4 cup white sugar
•1/2 cup paprika
•1/4 cup kosher salt
•1/4 cup garlic powder
•2 tablespoons ground black pepper
•2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
•2 tablespoons onion powder
•2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Looks like a good rub and plan to me. Put planty of applewood in the smoker I find applewood goes well with chicken.
FWIW ive done chiken on my weber at 225 for a longer duration and it turned out delish! I really like using the snake method on my standard weber works great and its low maintnence.

How should I add the chunks?
If I wait till I'm at 375 would most of the smoke be gone if I add the wood before lighting as I usually do?
Being there only on for 1 1/2 hours should I add the wood AFTER I'm at full heat at the time I add the chicken?
Would this give more contact time with the smoke or would they just burn up?
I'm using chunks and will go the normal way with charcoal in the pan

Also I need to cook these during the day for a nighttime party. Are they going to shrivel up and be dry/unappealing if they get cold and reheated in an oven 4 hours later

Add the wood right before adding the chicken.

I would caution using sugars in the rub, especially at the higher smoking temperatures (that I like for chicken). You can always glaze the chicken with a sweet sauce for the last 15 minutes or so.

I like this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/sriracha-hot-wings-recipe.html

Also this one but with pear jelly, however the skin is more rubbery: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67603

EDIT to add: For reheating, yes you have to worry about drying out and rubber. I would smoke, then before serving either quickly fry and put back on smoker or just put back on smoker to reheat.

For reheating, yes you have to worry about drying out and rubber. I would smoke, then before serving either quickly fry and put back on smoker or just put back on smoker to reheat.
The problem is I'm not going to be able to reheat on the smoker or fry them. I wont be home. All I'm going to have is an oven at my buddys house where the party is

You can make the oven work, just won't have as much smokiness.

Yeah, I add some time (15-30 mins), but I also pile the coals up, rather than spread them out like the recipe. So the recipe is probably hotter temp. 1.5 hr is too long, unless you are smoking very low like 225. My weber likes to run 300 or above.

They cook more uniformly if you separate. I usually don't, just cause it takes lots of time. PS wing tips make for great chicken stock/broth

Wings turned out AWESOME!
Will be a staple in the smoking rotation.
I followed the directions bfish gave to a tee, except the lime juice I forgot to buy.
I went half hour at 275 and added the wood chunks when I added the chicken
The temps bounced around a little on the high side but no biggie.
Then brushed on the sauce and let it smoke another hour still at 275 to I was at 160.
Then broiled them for a short time to crisp them up.. Thanks for the help!!!

20170225_173134_resized.jpg

20170225_182811_resized.jpg

Back