Smoked sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technicoloraudio

Reaction score
So I've searched this forum for info on this idea, and even as a chef, it's hard for me to wrap my head around the pairing of sour and smoke in a beer. Generally the addition of smoke to food helps to ward off infection and I don't know if this would play the same with malt, thusly inhibiting souring.
My plan was to brew a smoked red ale, and pitch lacto.
Does anyone have experience with this and/or is this a terrible idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There's at least one historical version I know off the top of my head. Lichtenhainer. Essentially Berliner Weisse brewed with smoked malt. I've never had one, nor do I know of any that are imported (if there are any German breweries of any size even still brewing it), although I believe Westbrook makes one.

I'd planned on trying to brew one eventually. Basically just taking my regular sour mashed Berliner Weisse, and substituting Rauchmalz for the Pilsner malt.

I did find the smoked Berliner recipe in the recipe database, but there wasn't much conclusive info on it.

In all honesty, I have done three batches on my half barrel system and don't know if I am ready to sour mash. Hence the later pitching of lacto.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Smoked malts vary so much in intensity that it's hard to know how much to add. For my only Best In Show, I had 17% Weyermann Smoked Malt for my Berliner Weisse. If I was to replace it with Briess, I'd go for more like 5%.

Mine was balanced, not overwhelming smoke but not exactly having to think hard about what was different. I don't think that I'd try a darker or more complex sour than a Berliner/Gose/Geuze. I don't think that the smoke and the darker flavors would play as well together as the wheat-based ones.

Back