Smoked Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafaelpinto

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive recently tryed an amazing example of a smoked porter, which is Ashtray Heart by Evil Twin. Its high abv (9%), has nice sweetness and quite balanced yet strong smokey/coffee/caramel/dark fruits notes. Very pleasant.

I am thinking about brewing a batch of this style. How do you think this recipe will come out?

OG: 1070
FG: 1018 (mash around 152F?)
Yeast: S04
Hops: magnum
IBU: 30
Color: 60 SRM (yes, I like it dark)

35% Smoked Malt
30% Munich Malt (a little stronger than 2row)
10% Carapils (some sweetness and head retention)

10% Carafa III Special (color and coffee notes without the roast)
2.5% Chocolate
2.5% Torrified Barley (ashy notes, should blend well with the smoke)

5% Crystal 40 (some light caramel/honey flavors)
5% Special B (some stronger caramel/raisin/nutty flavors)​

I've made 2 smoked porters and That looks just about perfect to me. I dont think thats too much carafa since youve only got a tiny bit of chocolate. The smoke level should be right on for a porter. But are you confusing torrified barley with roasted barley? Either way, should turn out fine. Just that torrified barley isnt ashy at all.

I might mash a bit higher though. I usually do 154 for my stouts and porters. Depends on what type of body you like

My suggestions:

- Reduce, or even eliminate the carafa.

- Drop the carapils and C40. You wont notice them.

- Increase the chocolate to 10 or even 15%. Maybe replace some or all with coffee malt.

I assume the smoked malt is beechwood or cherry, and not peat.

I agree with the previous post to get rid of the carapils. If I were you, I would replace it with flaked barley; you'll get a great creamy mouthfeel. In mine, I used ~7.5% of 80L crystal for some heavier toffee notes. Special B gets a little raisiny/burnt sugar for me, even at smaller concentrations (but this isn't my beer...)

I think 30% munich is a great idea for good body structure. When I made my first smoked porter, I used ~42% cherrywood smoked malt. It's VERY smoky, more smoky than I remember Ashtray heart being. I loved it; it was too much for others. I use about 2% roasted barley because the roasted character accentuates the sweetness and smoke. I make up the color difference with chocolate malt, but that's up to you. I don't have any experience with high quantities of carafa.

Good luck!

Thank you, guys! Ill raplace carapils with flaked oats or barley, reduce special B and put some crystal 80 in stead of it.

Why reduce carafa?

Oh, yes: cherrywood it is!

I think they were saying to reduce the carafa if you up the chocolate or else itll be far into stout territory.

yeah, as far as heavily roasted malts go its much less acrid and harsh. I used to use it all the time for black ipas until I found midnight wheat malt.

But it goes great in porters and stouts to add color without like an irish dry stout degree of roastiness

Yes, I and totally love those stouts and porter that are so dark that the head is almost red. So sexy!

Brewing this today! Recipe slightly changed.

17,5% Cherrywood Smoked Malt
17,5% Smoked Wheat Malt (it has a subtle smoked flavor)
30% Munich Malt
8% Flaked Barley

9% Carafa Special III
4% Chocolate Malt
4% Torrified Barley

5% Special B
5% Crystal 60

Pictures of the brewday! All in order.

I am rehydrating yeast right now. Ive decided to use 3 strains on the same batch: S04, US5 and Windsor.

Lets see how it turns out!

sdaseed.jpg

Grains right after dropped to mash.

dooope.jpg

Here in Brazil we use a kettle to mash, not a mash cooler-tun.

IMG_107s6.jpg

Grains resting on the warm wort.

negona_esfumacada.jpg

Draining precious and yummy wort from the mash kettle.

strange_thing.jpg

Can anyone explain where these colors come from? I mean, that looks like a lot of oil!

fervura.jpg

Here boil comes!​

Wow, things are getting wild in the fermenter! Gravity got from 1.075 to 1.050 on around 19h from pitching... amazing!

Fermentation went real quick! Gravity is now stabilized on 1.030 (yes, thats what I was going for) for 24h. This means 6% ABV.

From pitching to the current gravity there were only 60 hours! I mean... fermentation complete in less than 3 days!? The yeast combo I used is really powerful :rockin:

Since its not a high ABV beer, how long should I left it on primary? Should I increase temperature to keep the yeast happily digesting fermentations by-products?

Fermentation went real quick! Gravity is now stabilized on 1.030 (yes, thats what I was going for) for 24h. This means 6% ABV.

From pitching to the current gravity there were only 60 hours! I mean... fermentation complete in less than 3 days!? The yeast combo I used is really powerful :rockin:

Since its not a high ABV beer, how long should I left it on primary? Should I increase temperature to keep the yeast happily digesting fermentations by-products?

You went from 1.075 to 1.030 using, S04, US5, and Windsor, in 3 days and you think it is done! What temperature did you mash at.

I'd leave it where it is for at least a couple of weeks before you bottle. Certainly don't remove it from the yeast for a while.

Mash temperature was around 151-154F.

Should I change temperature after primary fermentation is done? Should I increase it to make yeast more active? Should I cold crash it?

Im thinking about using gelatin to clear the beer up and let the yeast settle. Is it a good idea?

Mash temperature was around 151-154F.

Should I change temperature after primary fermentation is done? Should I increase it to make yeast more active? Should I cold crash it?

Im thinking about using gelatin to clear the beer up and let the yeast settle. Is it a good idea?

I know I would find 1.030 way too sweet for me, but I like my beer drier than a lot of people. I think I would raise the temperature now to the max range of the yeast to get as much out of the yeast as possible. Maybe even go a little above the range. It has done most of it's work now, so you don't need to hold temperature any more.

I would use gelatin. Dark roasted grain, like carafa and chocolate, produce a lot of fine dust particles that stay in suspension for a long time, which can produce a slightly harsh taste in a young beer before it has completely dropped. I think gelatin helps drop the very fine particles of the grain resulting in a smoother tasting beer.

Latest posts

Back