Smoked Brown Porter and PH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wortlover

Reaction score
I got a recipe from our local HBS, and it looks great, can't wait to brew it this weekend. I have RO water to work with. My issue is this, I have played around with Brewer's Friend water profile calculator to find out what I need to add to my water for the brew day. I used a profile for London Porter/dark ale. This profile has a high bicarbonate number, and I can't seem to overcome it, w/o using chalk. And when I add too much baking soda, the Na numbers go too high. I have read that chalk doesn't like to dissolve.

The other issue is the PH, with the grain bill for this recipe. Using a neutral 7.0 for an initial PH, the calculator says my mash PH will be 4.64. Below is the grain bill and water profile. Does anyone have any help? I am by no means married to this profile either.

Water profile:
Ca. 73
Mg. 5
Na 35
Cl 60
SO4. 50
HCO 265

Grain bill

12#. Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter
6#. Weyermann Munich 2
2#. Weyermann Oak-smoked Wheat
2#. Fawcett Pale Chocolate
1.5#. Crisp Crystal Dark 77L
1#. United Kingdom Brown

I've had good luck getting chalk to dissolve in seltzer/carbonated water. Shake up the chalk dose with maybe a pint of freshly opened carbonated water until it goes clear (add more water if it doesn't completely dissolve/clear), and then add to the strike water.

You can do a more complicated calculation to make sure you use the minimum amount of carbonated water and to do it with a kegging setup and carbonator caps:
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Building_brewing_water_with_dissolved_chalk

Do not add chalk to adjust the sparge water, btw, as there's a risk of raising the alkalinity high enough to extract tannins when sparging (less of a risk when batch sparging).

I ended up donating to Brunwater, to receive their later water spreadsheet. I've looked at quite a few water profile programs, and Brunwaters is great. I went with a profile that was in between a brown and full dark. Pickling lime helped to raise th mash ph. I'm still a long way from fully grasping all involved with water, but love the idea of being able to improve my beer with water make up. I have been using a brew bag in my 70 quart cooler, with great efficiency results. 82% yesterday, with some little squeezes of the grains.

Oh man. There's so much wrong here, I don't know where to start.

1. Please do not use chalk, pickling lime, or baking soda until you figure out your water. You likely don't need it/them, and may ruin your beer.

2. If the calculator says this recipe's pH will be 4.6, then you're doing it wrong. That ain't possible. If you start with RO water then add modest gypsum, CaCl, and epsom salt, then you'll be ballpark just fine with no pH adjustment.

3. That recipe seems neither "smoked" nor "porter." Stout apparently. Weyermann smoked malt is VERY mild, and I assume that goes for their oak-smoked wheat too. So this little bit in a dark beer is truly worthless -- you won't taste it. I've used 95% Weyermann smoked and it's barely a rauchbier. Seriously.

I hope that doesn't come across too critical. Just trying to help.

Well, I'm learning a little everyday, but can't expect to know everything right off. As for meeting the parameters of a smoked porter, dunno. Got the recipe from my LHBS. Sounded good, we'll see.

I'm thick skinned, and appreciate any feedback. I have brewed in the past at a basic level, and have just recently gone all grain, and all in!

This is what I ended up ammending my RO water with:

porter.jpg

Definitely delete the NaCl, baking soda, and pickling lime. No reason for those. If you're sure you want the NaCl, then that's fine though.

Since you're new with pH adjustments, you should definitely do a test batch with 1 lb of grist, check its pH, and only then decide on baking soda and pickling lime. And if you don't have a pH meter, just don't use them at all. Not worth the risk.

Also, figure out what's wrong with your pH analysis too. Like I said, using that grain bill with RO water with modest mineral additions will almost certainly get you a pH around 5.2 to 5.5. Which is fine. So you shouldn't need the baking soda or pickling lime.

I feel there is nothing intrinsically wrong with using precipitated chalk (calcium carbonate) in a mash if you need to harden your water profile. I just made a Porter and added both bicarbonate of soda (sodium bicarbonate) and precipitated chalk (calcium carbonate) to the mash to harden my water and it tastes amazing! Perfectly balances the roast malts. The way to get calcium chloride and calcium carbonate (precipitated chalk) to dissolve is to put them in a blender and blend them with a little of your mash water. Works awesome with no effort. Although I suspect the chalk may not be entirety dissolved. Here is my mash profile for my Porter.

mash.png

I got a recipe from our local HBS, and it looks great, can't wait to brew it this weekend. I have RO water to work with. My issue is this, I have played around with Brewer's Friend water profile calculator to find out what I need to add to my water for the brew day. I used a profile for London Porter/dark ale. This profile has a high bicarbonate number, and I can't seem to overcome it, w/o using chalk. And when I add too much baking soda, the Na numbers go too high. I have read that chalk doesn't like to dissolve.

The other issue is the PH, with the grain bill for this recipe. Using a neutral 7.0 for an initial PH, the calculator says my mash PH will be 4.64. Below is the grain bill and water profile. Does anyone have any help? I am by no means married to this profile either.

Water profile:
Ca. 73
Mg. 5
Na 35
Cl 60
SO4. 50
HCO 265

Grain bill

12#. Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter
6#. Weyermann Munich 2
2#. Weyermann Oak-smoked Wheat
2#. Fawcett Pale Chocolate
1.5#. Crisp Crystal Dark 77L
1#. United Kingdom Brown

The way I approach it, is less is better, but ok, we need calcium. So begin there. Its a malt forward beer so you want to emphasise that with slightly favouring calcium chloride. Still we also need calcium sulphate usually. It also has roast malts so you might want to think about hardening your profile to balance this. A good way to do that is with sodium bicarbonate and or/precipitated chalk (calcium carbonate). I don't know why brewers are a little reticent against the addition of chalk.

here is what the Brunwater grain bill looked like. It's interesting how much variance there is between water profile calculators. I used another calc initially, and that's where I had originally thoought my grain ph was 4.64. But Brunwater came up with 5.01. Below is the grain bill, with lovibond ratings. When looking up some of the grain, there were ranges for lovibond, such as the Fawcett pale chocolate, which is listed 180-250.

grain bill.jpg

That grist has an appreciable amount of crystal and roast grain. The depression in mashing pH isn't a surprise. The need for more alkalinity to buffer your distilled or RO water supply is pretty apparent. The advice to delete those alkalinity sources is unfounded.

If you are an AHA member, there is a well-researched article on London water in one of the Zymurgy magazines from a few years ago. There are actually two water supplies in London, Thames River and the chalk aquifer. Porters were made with the chalk aquifer water and that water did have a modest amount of sodium in it. 50 to 70 ppm Na tends to taste good to me, in Porters.

I've had good luck getting chalk to dissolve in seltzer/carbonated water. Shake up the chalk dose with maybe a pint of freshly opened carbonated water until it goes clear (add more water if it doesn't completely dissolve/clear), and then add to the strike water.

An excellent idea!
I've been fiddling with ideas to dissolve CaCO3 into solution without using acid and getting extra sodium from the bicarbonates. This seems a much better way without really mucking up the strike water pH.

An excellent idea!
getting extra sodium from the bicarbonates.

If your brewing water doesn't have much sodium content in it now, there is little to fear from the sodium content that a typical baking soda dose will impart to beer. Since this is almost certainly a dark beer (since you are needing to add alkalinity), the sodium content is actually very complimentary and desirable to the beer flavor.

The other thing to remember that you're only adding baking soda to the mash, so any dilution when the sparging water is added to the wort will dilute that seemingly high sodium content to a more modest level. The supporter's version of Bru'n Water figures that out for you.

If indeed your mash pH turns out to be 5.0 (I'd do a 1-lb test batch to check) then yeah obviously some alkalinity is called for, so my advice against it isn't applicable.

It's just that I've done some dark beers with RO and have never gotten near 5.0, so that would be really surprising.

It's just that I've done some dark beers with RO and have never gotten near 5.0, so that would be really surprising.

Even with my tap water, (alkalinity about 86ppm), I had to add alkalinity to keep the pH above 5.0 on the Brewing Classic Styles Northern Brown "Nutcastle" recipe. It depends on the mix of colors of specialty malts used and how you are getting the color in the recipe.

I feel there is nothing intrinsically wrong with using precipitated chalk (calcium carbonate) in a mash if you need to harden your water profile.

There are a couple of things problematical with using chalk to increase calcium. The first is that it is basically insoluble and the second is, that while each mmole, if dissolved, would release 2 mEq of calcium resulting in 2/3.5 mEq of hydrogen ions, it would also release 2 mEq of CO3 which would absorb 2 mEq of hydrogen ions if the mash ever got to the desired range which it probably wouldn't.

Chalk reacts slowly with mash acids. This is good news and bad news. The good news part is that as it doesn't react quickly its mash pH raising effect probably won't bite you by the time you get to sparge. The bad news is that the CaCO3 is still there as microcrystals small enough to make it through the filter bed into the kettle. There they continue to absorb protons during a phase of the process where you want to lower mash pH. The reactions are so slow that some of the chalk will make it through into the fermenter where again the continuing reaction will raise pH against the yeasts attempts to lower it.

I see you are writing from the UK. Thus I assume you have CRS available to you. If you want to use chalk as a source of calcium then dissolve it and neutralize the alkalinity with CRS but be careful. Do the stoichimetry exactly or monitor the pH as you proceed. You will find that upon addition of the acid (diluted) the chalk will fizz and dissolve and leaving a turbid solution which then clears. If the correct stoichimetry was used the pH will be too low. That's because even though the solution is clear there are still un reacted microcrystals of CaCO3 in suspension and, consequently, un reacted acid in the solution.

Eventually these will react and the pH rise to neutral. You may be amazed by how long this takes. Certainly hours or maybe overnight. BTW strips should be good enough for determining neutrality in this application.

This will work but the result is a mixture of CaCl2 and CaSO4 and it is, IMO, much much easier to just add those two salts rather than go through the fuss I described above.

I'll also point out that whereas calcium is often considered the chicken soup of brewing water treatment it really isn't necessary to have as much of it as most home brewers seem to think (50 mg/L). Many very fine beers are made with less than that and, in fact, many of them derive their desired properties from low mineral levels in their source waters.

That grist has an appreciable amount of crystal and roast grain. The depression in mashing pH isn't a surprise. The need for more alkalinity to buffer your distilled or RO water supply is pretty apparent. The advice to delete those alkalinity sources is unfounded.
The question is as to the buffering capacity of those grains relative to the desired mash pH. He's got some pretty exotic stuff in there which I don't have models for but plugging in what I think are similar grains I find that he is marginal. He may indeed be able to get away with no alkalinity addition. OTOH he may need a small amount (little enough that he shouldn't worry about the sodium from the amount of sodium bicarbonate he is likely to need). Or he may need a little acid. Someone has suggested a test mash and it is in cases exactly like this one where a test mash becomes so important.

Even with my tap water, (alkalinity about 86ppm), I had to add alkalinity to keep the pH above 5.0 on the Brewing Classic Styles Northern Brown "Nutcastle" recipe. It depends on the mix of colors of specialty malts used and how you are getting the color in the recipe.

It also depends greatly on the buffering capacity (and DI mash pH) of the base malts. There is more base malt than anything else and there is quite a bit of variation in the acid base properties of, for example, Marris Otter pale ale malts.

There are a couple of things problematical with using chalk to increase calcium. The first is that it is basically insoluble and the second is, that while each mmole, if dissolved, would release 2 mEq of calcium resulting in 2/3.5 mEq of hydrogen ions, it would also release 2 mEq of CO3 which would absorb 2 mEq of hydrogen ions if the mash ever got to the desired range which it probably wouldn't.

Chalk reacts slowly with mash acids. This is good news and bad news. The good news part is that as it doesn't react quickly its mash pH raising effect probably won't bite you by the time you get to sparge. The bad news is that the CaCO3 is still there as microcrystals small enough to make it through the filter bed into the kettle. There they continue to absorb protons during a phase of the process where you want to lower mash pH. The reactions are so slow that some of the chalk will make it through into the fermenter where again the continuing reaction will raise pH against the yeasts attempts to lower it.

I see you are writing from the UK. Thus I assume you have CRS available to you. If you want to use chalk as a source of calcium then dissolve it and neutralize the alkalinity with CRS but be careful. Do the stoichimetry exactly or monitor the pH as you proceed. You will find that upon addition of the acid (diluted) the chalk will fizz and dissolve and leaving a turbid solution which then clears. If the correct stoichimetry was used the pH will be too low. That's because even though the solution is clear there are still un reacted microcrystals of CaCO3 in suspension and, consequently, un reacted acid in the solution.

Eventually these will react and the pH rise to neutral. You may be amazed by how long this takes. Certainly hours or maybe overnight. BTW strips should be good enough for determining neutrality in this application.

This will work but the result is a mixture of CaCl2 and CaSO4 and it is, IMO, much much easier to just add those two salts rather than go through the fuss I described above.

I'll also point out that whereas calcium is often considered the chicken soup of brewing water treatment it really isn't necessary to have as much of it as most home brewers seem to think (50 mg/L). Many very fine beers are made with less than that and, in fact, many of them derive their desired properties from low mineral levels in their source waters.

Ok let me say a few things. I am not a chemist and did not understand your explanation. What you seem to be saying is that when we add Calcium carbonate directly to the mash it releases calcium and carbonates. The latter will adsorb hydrogen and the chalk will have little if any effect on mash pH. It also reacts slowly with mash acids to have any real effect on mash parameters. It can also percolate to the kettle causing problems with pH later on. Please correct me where I am wrong I am not averse to being corrected, how else are we to learn?

Calcium carbonate does not dissolve well. Sure but it does when put under pressure with Co2. All you need is pressurised Co2, a carbonation cap and a PET bottle. Enough Co2 will remain in solution during the mash to keep the calcium carbonate dissolved. Panic over, problem solved.

I will also add that the main reason I add calcium carbonate to the mash when brewing dark beers like Stouts and Porters is not to provide calcium nor to balance out the mash profile but because it rounds out the caramel and roast malts providing a smooth mellowing effect. It appears to me that we can become so conditioned by technical science that we forget that beer is all about taste. I don't think it any coincidence that many of the worlds finest dark beers are produced in places with relatively high concentrations of calcium carbonate in the water. :)

Ok let me say a few things. I am not a chemist and did not understand your explanation. What you seem to be saying is that when we add Calcium carbonate directly to the mash it releases calcium and carbonates. The latter will adsorb hydrogen and the chalk will have little if any effect on mash pH. It also reacts slowly with mash acids to have any real effect on mash parameters. It can also percolate to the kettle causing problems with pH later on. Please correct me where I am wrong I am not averse to being corrected, how else are we to learn?
It seems you did actually understand most of what I posted. Keep in mind that this is the Brewing Science forum and you are quite likely, consequently, to get blasted with raw brewing science here. If you need a fuller explanation on something just ask.

Calcium carbonate does not dissolve well. Sure but it does when put under pressure with Co2. All you need is pressurised Co2, a carbonation cap and a PET bottle. Enough Co2 will remain in solution during the mash to keep the calcium carbonate dissolved.
I really question that. As mash is hot CO2 is going to leave the solution at a faster rate than when the water is cold or room temperature. The dissolution of CaCO3 under CO2 pressure can be crudely (calcium and hydrogen ions left out) diagrammed as
CO2 + H2O --> H2CO3 --> 2HCO3- <-- +CO3-- <-- CaCO3

CO2 flows in at the left and CaCO3 flows in at the right both of which convert to bicarbonate. When pressure is relieved and especially if the solution is agitated and or heated CO2 leaves at the left end because the solution is way over saturated WRT atomospheric CO2.

CO2 + H2O <-- H2CO3 <-- 2HCO3- --> +CO3-- --> CaCO3

The CO2 flowing out of the left side is balanced by CaCO3 flowing out the right side i.e. precipitating (as microcrystals) leaving you with essentially the same situation as when you add chalk directly to the mash. The question is as to how fast the reaction takes place. So lets assume that it is very slow and that you can indeed put Ca(HCO3)2 i.e. calcium bicarbonate into your mash by dissolving chalk under CO2 pressure. This is, of course, dissociated into Ca++ and 2HCO3-. For each mmol of Ca++ which produces 1/3.5 at the kettle and more probably half that, 1/7 mEq of protons, in the mash tun you have 2 mEq of alkalinity (proton absorbing capacity). In adding calcium bicarbonate you have increased the alkalinity of your water and the pH will go up unless you add some acid to neutralize the bicarbonate. Again, you are pretty much in the same boat as with the powder. And again it is much easier to just add calcium sulfate or calcium chloride to get to the desired calcium level than it is to fiddle with the CO2 and additional acid addition.

I will also add that the main reason I add calcium carbonate to the mash when brewing dark beers like Stouts and Porters is not to provide calcium nor to balance out the mash profile but because it rounds out the caramel and roast malts providing a smooth mellowing effect.
At mash pH most of the carbonate has been converted to CO2 gas and has left the solution so that you have effectively added Ca++ ions alone and converted some malt acids to their anions thus providing the hydrogen ions necessary to convert the CO3-- to the gas. This, of course, has the effect of raising mash pH. Some feel that higher mash pH results in smoother stouts and porters. Thus the smoother effect comes from the increased alkalinity. If you need some alkalinity to keep mash pH from going to low then just add some sodium bicarbonate unless you have a real sodium phobia. That would be the only case where I could see using chalk dissolved with CO2 under pressure.

It appears to me that we can become so conditioned by technical science that we forget that beer is all about taste.
While we sometimes do push the science to the point that the art is suppressed it is always nice when the the science can explain what we see in terms of taste. That is the case here.

I don't think it any coincidence that many of the worlds finest dark beers are produced in places with relatively high concentrations of calcium carbonate in the water. :)
No water has a high concentration of calcium carbonate in it because calcium carbonate is not soluble in water to an appreciable extent. Surface waters tend to have about a mEq/L each (50 ppm as CaCO3) hardness and alkalinity with a pH near 8 because those are the equilibrium conditions with atmospheric partial pressure of CO2. Ground water is essentially what you proposed making with the carbonator because respiring bacteria result in subterranean CO2 pressures that are orders of magnitude higher than in the atmosphere. Thus we often see hardnesses and alkalinities of 2 mEq/L or even 3. This means that the waters have high calcium bicarbonate content. The important fact is that they have alkalinities high enough to balance the acidities of the roast and caramel malts used. Also keep in mind that it isn't enough to know what the characteristics of a regions brewing water is. You must know what the brewery did to it, if anything, before brewing with it. Decarbonation. at least to some extent, of a highly bicarbonate water is almost guaranteed if the water is heated before mashing. Further decarbonation can be realized by heating to the boil or the addition of lime or, in a modern brewery, micro or RO filtration.

Some empirically established data using calcium carbonate dissolved in Co2 and its effect on mash pH

The chart shows exactly what the explanation in the last post predicts. Adding chalk dissolved with CO2 increases alkalinity causing higher mash pH. And it makes the alkalinity available faster because it is in the form of bicarbonate rather than carbonate. The remaining question is as to how things would look after the solution has had more time to come to equilibrium with the air. I'm not saying the pH's will change over time - just that they might.

The chart shows exactly what the explanation in the last post predicts. Adding chalk dissolved with CO2 increases alkalinity causing higher mash pH. And it makes the alkalinity available faster because it is in the form of bicarbonate rather than carbonate. The remaining question is as to how things would look after the solution has had more time to come to equilibrium with the air. I'm not saying the pH's will change over time - just that they might.

Actually the original premise that you stated as I understood it was that it would have little if any affect on pH due to its slow reaction with mash acids and the absorption of hydrogen ions neutralising any affect on pH. Although admittedly my understanding was and still is not entirely clear why that should be the case, but that's my problem. Clearly as the empirically established data demonstrates Calcium carbonate dissolved in Co2 will contribute significantly to mash pH although looking at the data it needs to be in fairly high concentrations.

Has the author of the data not demonstrated that there is enough Co2 in solution to keep the calcium carbonate dissolved for the duration of the mash? He seems to think so and so do I.

Calcium carbonate cannot be substituted for with sodium bicarbonate as the taste sensation is entirely different. Anyone who has tasted mineral water with high levels of calcium in it can testify to the fact that calcium has a somewhat silky mouthfeel. This is excellent for providing a backdrop for the slightly acrid taste of roast malts, mellowing them and rounding them out in my opinion.

Yes this is the science forum and yet if science is pitched too raw it has the tendency to reverberate off the side of ones temples and dissipate into the stratosphere out into the vastness of cyberspace like a lovers secret never to be told. Although this should be used as an impetus to attempt to understand what is being proposed, but this takes time and the learning curve is fairly steep. Surely it would be awesome if brewing science was made more accessible and slightly less intimidating?

Taking a conceptual approach I have found when teaching chess has been well received. Sure we could talk merely in terms of variations (algorithms) expressed in algebraic terms, subject them to falsification in an attempt to determine their efficacy or otherwise but that doesn't really impart any understanding. Infact its somewhat mechanical and ignores entirely the needs of the student. Brewing in some respects is very much like chess in that there is a symbiotic relationship that exists between science and art. As in science as in art there are all levels of understanding. :)

Actually the original premise that you stated as I understood it was that it would have little if any affect on pH due to its slow reaction with mash acids and the absorption of hydrogen ions neutralising any affect on pH.
Yes, and that's what the lower curves show. There is some increase in alkalinity with the powdered chalk but not what the stoichimetry would predict.
Clearly as the empirically established data demonstrates Calcium carbonate dissolved in Co2 will contribute significantly to mash pH although looking at the data it needs to be in fairly high concentrations.
Yes. The upper curves show that the alkalinity is available immediately. Over time, and that might mean a day or more, the lower curves should approach the upper curves as the reactions with mash acids take place and the CO3-- ions become available. One mmol of CaCO3 can contribute at most 2 mEq of alkalinity and that when the CO3-- ions are available. The effect that this has on the mash pH depends on the acid/base properties of the grist components.

Has the author of the data not demonstrated that there is enough Co2 in solution to keep the calcium carbonate dissolved for the duration of the mash? He seems to think so and so do I.
Yes, I think so too. I am a little concerned that the CO2 that has escaped which results in precipitation of CaCO2 microcrystals may come back to bite you later as the alkalinity of that CaCO3 becomes available but I have not investigated this and any investigation of the carbonic system is impaired by the slow kinematics.

Calcium carbonate cannot be substituted for with sodium bicarbonate as the taste sensation is entirely different. Anyone who has tasted mineral water with high levels of calcium in it can testify to the fact that calcium has a somewhat silky mouthfeel. This is excellent for providing a backdrop for the slightly acrid taste of roast malts, mellowing them and rounding them out in my opinion.
Your palate may be entirely different from mine. In fact it doubtless is as I'm getting to be pretty long in the tooth. I have always found calcium to be pretty flavorless which is why, I always supposed, people prefer to get their chloride and sulfate from the calcium salts rather than magnesium salts or sodium salts as both those cations do have notable flavoring effects - at least relative to calcium. I find water with calcium chloride dissolved in it (or beers made with calcium chloride) to be silky but that's, AFAIK, attributable to the chloride which paired with calcium does not give the salty taste one would expect if the chloride were derived from NaCl.

But more to the point: if you get your calcium from calcium carbonate through the relatively elaborate process of dissolving chalk with CO2 and then using acid as necessary to get the mash to proper mash pH, kettle pH to a good level for it and the yeasts do there job the vast majority of the CO3 you originally added will be gone and you will have calcium chloride or calcium sulfate or calcium lactate or calcium biphosphate... It is much simpler to skip the chalk and CO2 and just add calcium chloride (or sulfate or lactate...).

Yes this is the science forum and yet if science is pitched too raw it has the tendency to reverberate off the side of ones temples and dissipate into the stratosphere out into the vastness of cyberspace like a lovers secret never to be told. Although this should be used as an impetus to attempt to understand what is being proposed, but this takes time and the learning curve is fairly steep. Surely it would be awesome if brewing science was made more accessible and slightly less intimidating?
Indeed it would and I have, for the last 30 years, been looking for a way to make it so without much success. Perhaps this is more of a reflection on my skills at pedagogy than the difficulty of the material but I will comment that water chemistry is really very simple except for the thing we are discussing here - the acid/base chemistry of the carbonic acid system. Without that all our problems would be similar to "Calcium chloride is x% calcium and y% chloride. Calcium sulfate is u% calcium and v% sulfate. What are the concentrations of calcium, sulfate and chloride if 5 grams of calcium chloride and 3 grams of calcium sulfate are dissolved in 10 gal water?" IOW all simple linear math. Introduce the carbonic system and concentrations depend non linearly on pH (whatever that is).

If you do want to understand fully it is going to take some investment. The trail really isn't that steep. The problem is that, unaided, you don't know which trail(s) to ascend. That's where this forum can be very helpful. Now of course the difficulty is going to depend on your background. It's going to be much more difficult for a poet who never took a math or science course (a friend of mine taught a class he called "Physics for poets") than for an engineer, physicist or chemist. But consider the benefits. Da Vinci autopsied the human body and took extensive notes on what he observed. Little wonder that his representations of the human body are so good. He knew what underlay the surface. It is the same in brewing. The science underlies the art and informs it.

Taking a conceptual approach I have found when teaching chess has been well received. Sure we could talk merely in terms of variations (algorithms) expressed in algebraic terms, subject them to falsification in an attempt to determine their efficacy or otherwise but that doesn't really impart any understanding. Infact its somewhat mechanical and ignores entirely the needs of the student. Brewing in some respects is very much like chess in that there is a symbiotic relationship that exists between science and art. As in science as in art there are all levels of understanding. :)

But IBM built a machine that could beat Kasparov. They've never built one that can brew beer.

but I will comment that water chemistry is really very simple except for the thing we are discussing here - the acid/base chemistry of the carbonic acid system. Without that all our problems would be similar to "Calcium chloride is x% calcium and y% chloride. Calcium sulfate is u% calcium and v% sulfate. What are the concentrations of calcium, sulfate and chloride if 5 grams of calcium chloride and 3 grams of calcium sulfate are dissolved in 10 gal water?" IOW all simple linear math. Introduce the carbonic system and concentrations depend non linearly on pH (whatever that is).

Agreed, but AJ didn't add that other wildcard...the buffering of the phosphate system. It does appear that the buffering of the carbonate system dominates in a mash, but the nuances of the phosphate buffering add another variable that we generally ignore. AJ has at least pondered that subject in one of the papers he's written. He is still ahead of the game!

Yes, and that's what the lower curves show. There is some increase in alkalinity with the powdered chalk but not what the stoichimetry would predict.
Yes. The upper curves show that the alkalinity is available immediately. Over time, and that might mean a day or more, the lower curves should approach the upper curves as the reactions with mash acids take place and the CO3-- ions become available. One mmol of CaCO3 can contribute at most 2 mEq of alkalinity and that when the CO3-- ions are available. The effect that this has on the mash pH depends on the acid/base properties of the grist components.

Yes, I think so too. I am a little concerned that the CO2 that has escaped which results in precipitation of CaCO2 microcrystals may come back to bite you later as the alkalinity of that CaCO3 becomes available but I have not investigated this and any investigation of the carbonic system is impaired by the slow kinematics.

Your palate may be entirely different from mine. In fact it doubtless is as I'm getting to be pretty long in the tooth. I have always found calcium to be pretty flavorless which is why, I always supposed, people prefer to get their chloride and sulfate from the calcium salts rather than magnesium salts or sodium salts as both those cations do have notable flavoring effects - at least relative to calcium. I find water with calcium chloride dissolved in it (or beers made with calcium chloride) to be silky but that's, AFAIK, attributable to the chloride which paired with calcium does not give the salty taste one would expect if the chloride were derived from NaCl.

But more to the point: if you get your calcium from calcium carbonate through the relatively elaborate process of dissolving chalk with CO2 and then using acid as necessary to get the mash to proper mash pH, kettle pH to a good level for it and the yeasts do there job the vast majority of the CO3 you originally added will be gone and you will have calcium chloride or calcium sulfate or calcium lactate or calcium biphosphate... It is much simpler to skip the chalk and CO2 and just add calcium chloride (or sulfate or lactate...).

Indeed it would and I have, for the last 30 years, been looking for a way to make it so without much success. Perhaps this is more of a reflection on my skills at pedagogy than the difficulty of the material but I will comment that water chemistry is really very simple except for the thing we are discussing here - the acid/base chemistry of the carbonic acid system. Without that all our problems would be similar to "Calcium chloride is x% calcium and y% chloride. Calcium sulfate is u% calcium and v% sulfate. What are the concentrations of calcium, sulfate and chloride if 5 grams of calcium chloride and 3 grams of calcium sulfate are dissolved in 10 gal water?" IOW all simple linear math. Introduce the carbonic system and concentrations depend non linearly on pH (whatever that is).

If you do want to understand fully it is going to take some investment. The trail really isn't that steep. The problem is that, unaided, you don't know which trail(s) to ascend. That's where this forum can be very helpful. Now of course the difficulty is going to depend on your background. It's going to be much more difficult for a poet who never took a math or science course (a friend of mine taught a class he called "Physics for poets") than for an engineer, physicist or chemist. But consider the benefits. Da Vinci autopsied the human body and took extensive notes on what he observed. Little wonder that his representations of the human body are so good. He knew what underlay the surface. It is the same in brewing. The science underlies the art and informs it.

But IBM built a machine that could beat Kasparov. They've never built one that can brew beer.

Art has transcended the Renaissance masters who were generally concerned with the imitation of nature. Artists began to infuse their works with intellectual content much of which was pleased to dispense with convention and enter the realm of metaphysics. Artists like Surat employed an almost purely scientific approach to colour. Other like Cézanne an almost dogmatic conformity to technique. This of course produced art but it was no substitute for raw talent and imagination!

My approach is to imagine what the beer is we would like to create. Its taste, texture, aroma etc and to try to use what elements we have at our disposal to create it. Sometimes this calls for thwarting convention! Do we really need to know that acidification of the mash results from a reaction between calcium and magnesium ions in water and the malts phosphates? Not really but its incredibly interesting irrespective. Cheers for the encouragement I really appreciate it.

'Its a wretched pupil that does not surpass his master' - DaVinci :)

More broadly put, the problems multiply when we must deal with weak acids (of which carbonic is one).

Here's the alkalinity (buffering) breakdown for water of 50 ppm alkalinity with 150 mg/L sulfate, 28 mg/L silicate and 2 mg/L phosphate at pH 8.5

Alkalinity Breakdown mEq/L ppm as CaCO3 %
H+ 0.03 1.41 2.85%
OH- 0.00 0.12 0.24%
Bicarbonate 0.84 41.92 84.49%
Carbonate 0.04 1.76 3.54%
Phosphate 0.06165 3.08 6.21%
Sulfate 0.00605 0.30 0.61%
Silicate 0.02037 1.02 2.05%

Total 49.61 100.00%

Clearly the bicarbonate and carbonate (carbonic system) contribute the lion's share but phosphate (at 2 mg/L which is quite high) and silicate at 28 mg/L (which is pretty much the upper limit for US waters) do contribute 9% of the total. The surprise may be the sulfate's contribution. Technically sulfuric acid is, with respect to its second proton, a weak acid!

[Edit]I just realized that Martin was talking about phosphate in malt which contains quite a bit of phosphate salts but it also contains salts of other organic acids. We couldn't possibly separate out the phosphate to the point where we could calculate its alkalinity except roughly by knowing the typical phosphate levels in malts or more precisely by measuring the phosphate content. So we roll it in with all the other salts and measure the alkalinity at enough pH values that we can prepare a titration curve.

For the case of RO water I'm going to go out on a limb and take an educated guess that with moderate mineralization in the form of exclusively CaCl2 and/or CaSO4, wherein strike water Ca++ does not exceed 51 ppm, the grist which is the focal point of this thread will dough into said mineralized RO water at not lower than 5.30 pH. Furthermore, I'd be quite shocked if it actually doughs in at below 5.2 pH. This with no added alkalinity.

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

Back