Smoked Bacon Porters why can't there be a beef Jerky porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph524

Reaction score
Hello
Is there any reason beef jerky cant be used in a home brew? I see bacon used a lot and everyone worries about the fat. Well beef jerky has less fat. I would also plan on using home made jerky so no preservatives. Is there a reason it cant be used? Thanks much

Blehhhhg... I mean if you pull it off ill be super impressed. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Only in Portland... Ha

Ya... That is one way to keep it weird.

We were at the brewery in Newport when we picked up a bottle. I'm just glad I wasn't the one who paid the $18 for it. Yet we still have the pink bottle—thanks to the pink obsessed gf.

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to over power it with jerky. I have a guy that makes great jerky and has a garlic smokey taste to it.
I have 2 options. One is just use the spices he uses which are smoked. Second is cut up the jerky and add it at the end off the boil. I have a basic porter recipe with some smoked grains. Basically I am looking for a beer to enjoy with a cigar. A guy in our brew club made a great bacon porter so I figured beef jerky would work. Just wasn't sure about adding meat to the fermentation process.

Adding meat to the fermentation process seems unwise for any number of reasons. A much better idea would be to hickory-smoke some grains and use jerky spices. It's not like there's some "meat flavor" you're trying to add to the beer. You just want the smoke, sweetness, and spices.

If you're determined to add meat I would split the batch so you don't meat-ify the whole thing.

Also, Summit hops tend to be very onion & garlic for me so they might work with what you're doing.

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to over power it with jerky. I have a guy that makes great jerky and has a garlic smokey taste to it.
I have 2 options. One is just use the spices he uses which are smoked. Second is cut up the jerky and add it at the end off the boil. I have a basic porter recipe with some smoked grains. Basically I am looking for a beer to enjoy with a cigar. A guy in our brew club made a great bacon porter so I figured beef jerky would work. Just wasn't sure about adding meat to the fermentation process.

Forget the whole idea, and brew a nice big hoppy stout instead. Eat your meat don't ferment it.

Adding meat to the fermentation process seems unwise for any number of reasons. A much better idea would be to hickory-smoke some grains and use jerky spices. It's not like there's some "meat flavor" you're trying to add to the beer. You just want the smoke, sweetness, and spices.

Yeah hickory, or better yet, mulberry or alder. Smoked porter. I'd be careful of adding a mixed spice, you don't want salt, or MSG at least I wouldn't. For sweetness some honey malt.

Why don't you soak it in some bourbon or vodka for at least 2 weeks, strain through a coffee filter, add to secondary or bottling. I know that's what a lot of people do for bacon beer.

I agree with the meat thing but the meat is cured. On one hand people are adding in bacon and that is meat with good results. I am leaning spices but just want some input or ideas. I would put the jerky in during the cool down or dry hop sort of I was going to say "dry Jerk" but i dont want all the comments lol

so add the jerky in at 10 mins left in the boil then leave out of fermentation. or "Jerk Hop" it after primary? Maybe like 1-2 weeks before kegging. Thanks for any ideas.

I am going to brew the porter as I designed. Then after primary and transfer to secondary let clear for 7 days. Cut .5lbs of Jerky into small pieces and put into a muslin bag and add like a dry hop for 7 days or taste until desired taste if any. I have thought about making a "jerky tea" and adding that instead of the meat.
Keep in mind this is home made Jerky and not the nasty slim jim type of stuff. I wouldn't even think of this using that stuff. This should work better then bacon because of a lot less fat issues. This jerky is made of London broil so very lean.

I am going to "Jerk Hop" this porter. The reason to soak in vodka is to sterilize correct? Or should I just add to it without? Thanks

There are a few good reasons for vodka/bourbon. They both sanitize pretty well and don't impart flavors to the actual brew so it acts like an infusion when you add it to the brew. There will be a slight addition to the ABV but it will be very small.

Hello
Update time!!!
Brew had a smokey taste. First stage ferm 7 days. Secondary 1 week . I added 5oz of jerky in on Halloween.Leaving it in for 1 week maybe more. I am wondering if I could add the spice kit he gave me if needed at this point. I know it has smoked paprika and some other smoked spices. I also have a little bag of garlic powder. Can you add spices in the secondary or should they always go in during the boil for full effect? And I should stay away from salts correct?

Thanks

Hello
Update time!!!
Brew had a smokey taste. First stage ferm 7 days. Secondary 1 week . I added 5oz of jerky in on Halloween.Leaving it in for 1 week maybe more. I am wondering if I could add the spice kit he gave me if needed at this point. I know it has smoked paprika and some other smoked spices. I also have a little bag of garlic powder. Can you add spices in the secondary or should they always go in during the boil for full effect? And I should stay away from salts correct?

Thanks

I prefer spicing in secondary. Fermentation won't blow off the aroma or alter the flavor. I also prefer to add tinctures for better control.

Thanks for the reply
I am guessing I should not add any salts that he gave me correct?. I think the garlic would be OK also but not sure if I want to add more yet.

I think a little fresh ground pepper and probably some heat as in chili pepper with some ginger and maybe a smidge of garlic in some hot water as in 180 in mason jar the lidded and cooled to 70 F and dumped in might be good.

Just remember, less is usually more with spices. Paprika, for instance. I didn't wake up today and think, hmm...some smoked paprika in my oatmeal would really hit the spot...

Cheers.

All I am adding is more additional spices if not enough jerky. This is homemade jerky. He gave me all the spices he uses but didn't tell me all of what is all in it, (he like to keep the recipe secret) . The jerky had black pepper on it. I dont want to use more than the 5 oz's because it could get out of control price wise. But the spices are cheaper.

Did a little tasting tonight and not much of a jerky taste present. I made up a tea of 1 cup water 2 tsp of the spices 1/2 tsp garlic. Let cool and put in mason jar capped, and will pour in in 2 days. Let sit another week and keg if taste is any good. I will leave Jerky in for a total of a week. Might pull out the jerky and ad the spice tea or leave in? Any thoughts?

I'd just add the tea when you package it, don't see a need to remove the jerky earlier.

Cool experiment, my crazy brews like this turn out about 50% meh and 50% really good.

Update
Kegged this brew last Thursday 11/7/13. Had a sample on Sunday 11/10/13 and it had a very good foam on top which I am happy with. Means not much fat in the brew. Has an interesting taste, might be a bit green yet. But having a cold doesn't help my taste buds. I will keep updating.

Well this has been in the in the keg almost 3 weeks and keeps getting better. Not everyone likes it of course, best thing is to not tell what is in it before tasting. I have a brew club meeting next week so we shall see what everyone thinks there. So I guess then I could say I pulled it off!!

I know you've already made this brew, but it occurs to me that you could either just boil lean meat & skim the fat off, using the remaining broth instead of water for your brew; or you could boil the jerky & do the same. You could always add more meat until you get the level of meat flavour you're wanting. And if you chill the broth & reheat/rechill, you should be able to remove about 98% of the fat as it'll congeal on the surface & would easily be removed.

Use the broth in place of water for your entire brew, mash in it, sparge with it, etc...
Don't know what it would taste like, but since it's boiled & combined with alcohol, I'd guess it won't make you ill. Bet the dog would like it. :D
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back