smoke coming from eBIAB panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
replacing the entire piece of wire may be 'better' but repairing with tubing can be 'acceptable or safe practice'. repairs with shrink tubing are made all the time in the industrial world for these types of incidents. if doing a shrink repair, it is important to use an appropriate tubing, one with a ul listing that has a voltage rating. also need to prepare the conductor and apply the tubing in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. installed in such a manner, the tubing repair is totally fine. the problem comes in when joe homeowner is using some cheap tubing off of ebay or not installing it in the correct manner.

i'm with you though, i would replace the entire conductor for such a short length and small gauge.

Don't know where you work, but make sure you have plenty fire extinguishers, because that's the dumbest thing I have heard today. Please explain why you do this to OSHA or the insurance company when something bad happens. Your changing the UL listing for the wire if you melt off the insulation and put on heat shrink. Do they sell THHN etc heat shrink? Hell no, because you replace the wire!!!!!! After the heat required to melt insulation, the properties of the wire change, resistance goes up and..... Uhhhhhh forget it.

look, i'm not saying it is best practice to clean up the conductor and apply tape/shrink but it is acceptable, provided the conductor can be cleaned/prepared properly. if the copper is visibly damaged (e.g. stands completely gone, signs of melting, etc.) then yeah, replace the damaged section of conductor. and for wiring completely within the brew panel, it is easier to replace the whole piece than try and repair it (which i would do anyway). i was just trying to calm any fears that such a repair was some type of ticking time bomb. carry on!

You have no idea what damage was done to copper getting hot enough to melt PVC? Uh, none whatsoever. What is the melting point of copper. The worst that would happen already did with what caused this situation in the first place. When I had my house built the electrician had four loose connections that failed over the years. In each case no fire started. All opened up. If it were so dangerous there would be fires all over the place. Reinsulating wire is not ideal or as said before best practice, and I did say to replace it but it is not unsafe to replace 600 working volt insulation with 600 working volt insulation. A homemade panel would never get UL approval anyway, so we are individually responsible for safety. The primary issue is water and current paths.. That is mitigated as much as possible with GFCI.. There is still a risk even with one. Wear shoes, use one arm only when possible and keep your floor dry is probably more important than saying don't reinsulate with shrink tubing. Next is box safety. Probably you should have an interlock in a box like this and use low voltage for contactor control. No one does. So the box itself is taking on that function. Same with fire suppression. Maximize spacing in the box and minimize fuel in it and it will reasonably protect against it. Even plastic boxes are okay with code, so use common sense here. The safety complaints in this thread have been ridiculous. The worst case problem that would happen with the OPs post was already realized..

Back