Smoke Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwarven_stout

Reaction score
I'd going to be experimenting with an american amber with a hint of smoke in the flavor (but little to no aroma).

I'm planning on flavor and aroma hopping with Willamette, and I'd like to stay away from peat malt. Anyone have experience, suggestions, or a "do not do" warning so I can weed out bad options before I start brewing?

1/4 lb Rauchmalt in 5 gallons gives a hint of flavor that blends in but not jump out as smoke. I use this much in my Scotch ales and fall amber ales for complexity but I don't call either of them smoked beers. If you want the drinker to know there getting smoke, maybe double that amount. I use Willamette in my heavily smoked porter and amber ale for the finishing hops.

Perfect. I was going to try starting with an ounce of rauchmalt. I might try cutting that in half and see where it leaves me.

Oh, ok. That makes more sense.. I remember someone on this forum talking about a 1/4 ounce of peated being too much, but I know rauch is a lot more mild.

I went ahead with 6oz in the first batch, with willamette and a dash of amarillo for flavor and finishing hops. I'll probably dry-hop a portion of the batch, too.

Back