Smelly Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My third batch was a peach wheat, made with peach extract at bottling. the beer tastes great, but ive noticed that after rinsing the bottles thoroughly, the bottles smell like a foot when they dry. my first 2 batches did not have this issue. i have been trying to wash the bottles out with soap after drinking a peach wheat, and they still smell. im worried that whatever is in there will survive sanitizer too and infect my next batch. anyone ever have this issue? thanks! :)

Take a look in the bottom if the bottle and see if theres any yeast stuck to the bottom. That might be the cause.

What do the bottles smell like when dry? Are you rinsing with well water or does your municipal water smell funky on its own?

Oh, and washing with soap might leave some soap residue that'll be there when you bottle the next batch. Maybe try filling the bottles up with unscented Oxyclean and see if that gets rid of the smell.

theres no yeast or anything on the bottom of the bottles. with my other beers i just rinsed with water and the bottles smelled fine. with this batch, i did the same thing, they smelled fine right after i rinsed them, then once they dried i got that smell. just smells like a dirty foot haha. ill try letting them soak in sanitizer to see if that gets rid of the smell.

When I started brewing, I was using whatever bottles my friends would give me, as I did not have enough brown bottles yet. This included clear bottles. By using those, I learned that rinsing bottles just after pouring is not enough to really clean them, as I could see some residue along the bottle neck and at the bottom (impossible to see in brown bottles by just looking inside).
Maybe you have the same thing, and the residue for this particular recipe smells bad.
Like suggested by JonM, try to soak them overnight in oxyclean, and see if it gets rid of the smell, and any residue that could be left.

Ooh! Idea! Maybe fill your bottling bucket with oxyclean solution and then just fill the bottles one by one and let the full bottles sit and do their thing.

I have a 7 gal bucket I keep filled with oxyclean and water. I can get about 15 bottles in there. I leave them over night, rinse good with hot water then dip in starsan before bottling. I hope nothing lingers after all that

Take a look in the bottom if the bottle and see if theres any yeast stuck to the bottom. That might be the cause.

What do the bottles smell like when dry? Are you rinsing with well water or does your municipal water smell funky on its own?

Oh, and washing with soap might leave some soap residue that'll be there when you bottle the next batch. Maybe try filling the bottles up with unscented Oxyclean and see if that gets rid of the smell.

+1 to oxyclean...all of my neighbors bring me their unwashed used bottles in return for some homebrew whenever I finish a batch. I just fill a tub up with warm water and dissolve some oxyclean and let them sit overnight. By morning the skunky beer smell is gone and the labels and glue come right off. Then I just run them through a sani wash in the dishwasher with steam no soap to fully remove the oxyclean film.

Just for the general knowledge of all those who use Oxiclean for their brewing cleaning......
It is a wonderful product for removing stubborn stains and grime from your bottles and carboys, however, take note that the active ingredient only lasts for up to 6 hours after which it is through doing its thing. Overnight soaking is unnecessary and saving the mixed product in a container is useless. Its best to follow the instructions and mix as you need it. Refer here: http://www.oxiclean.com/FAQ.aspx

Jroot, I never actually read a word about the product oxyclean, but folks who have used it suggested it to me. It may be "useless" after 6 hours or whatever, but I'll tell you from my experience, I have used the same bucket of water/oxyclean for 3 batches of 15-17 bottles each time, each time for 24 hours. I only soak for 24 hours out of laziness, put them in today, rinse them tomorrow, maybe, no worries. I still hot water rinse and starsan before using, but as for the initial cleaning, I like the oxy-maranade. Just sayin'.... happy brewin'! (brew night tonight! Cookin up an English bitter, fingers crossed)

I learned that rinsing bottles just after pouring is not enough to really clean them, as I could see some residue along the bottle neck and at the bottom (impossible to see in brown bottles by just looking inside).

That surprises me as I have been been giving my bottles a good rinse (and shake) with hot water only and upside down drain immediately after drinking. Then on bottling day I just use my bottle rinser with Starsan to sanitize and drain them on the tree before bottling.
Bottled thousands over the last 30 years and never had an issue. Mind you I do not make those beers full of pumpkins etc and like to let my beer sit in fermenter for 3 weeks to clear before bottling. I also take care when bulk priming not to transfer crap to the bottling container. I also ensure bottles are always stored upright (hence no crud on the neck) and when pouring leave a little beer in the bottle to stop the sediment drying out if I am a little slow rinsing.

Only reason I think most people (myself included) soak over night is that its just easier for me to throw them in a tub before I go to bed then deal with them in the morning. Although its nice to know they would be good to go in about 6 hours in a pinch! :)

That surprises me as I have been been giving my bottles a good rinse (and shake) with hot water only and upside down drain immediately after drinking. Then on bottling day I just use my bottle rinser with Starsan to sanitize and drain them on the tree before bottling.
Bottled thousands over the last 30 years and never had an issue. Mind you I do not make those beers full of pumpkins etc and like to let my beer sit in fermenter for 3 weeks to clear before bottling. I also take care when bulk priming not to transfer crap to the bottling container. I also ensure bottles are always stored upright (hence no crud on the neck) and when pouring leave a little beer in the bottle to stop the sediment drying out if I am a little slow rinsing.

this was my original concern. ive used the "hot water rinse and shake" technique with the first 2 batches and had no issue. but the third batch seems to be different. guess it depends what you brew

+1 to Oxyclean. Whenever I'm concerned, I just fill up my brewpot and let them all soak in it overnight.

Latest posts

Back