Smashing Pumkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgrumbrews

Reaction score
I am about to brew an extract kit from Northern Brewer, the Smashing Pumpkin Ale. I haven't tried it before so I'm a bit leery as to how much flavor it has. I was thinking about dry spicing it a little. Has anyone made this kit? If so how did it turn out? And to those reading this that haven't had it and still have an opinion to share, you're thoughts?http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/smashing-pumpkin-ale-extract-kit-2.html

It's delicious but I wouldn't use any real pumpkin if I were to do it again.

Add the spices per the recipe, it was enough for me. You can always add more at bottling/kegging time (in small doses!) if you think it's necessary.

I'm really going for a "slice of pie" beer. I may add a tablespoon of spice mixture. I love pumpkin beer so I plan on doing at least one more batch.

It's delicious but I wouldn't use any real pumpkin if I were to do it again.

Add the spices per the recipe, it was enough for me. You can always add more at bottling/kegging time (in small doses!) if you think it's necessary.

I am looking into doing my first pumpkin beer and wondering if you would leave out the pumpkin because you couldn't taste it anyways or because you didn't like the taste it added?

I didn't like the taste it added. For one, I overdid it. It left a vegetative, raw pumpkin taste in the beer. This was about 60oz. mashed in a 5 gallon batch.

I was thinking pumpkin pie, I came up short though lol.

I think you always get a nice pumpkin color and i can always detect the pumpkin aroma and taste despite the anti-real pumpkiners.Its b.s. if its not a pumpkin beer its just a pumpkin spiced beer then ,and not a pumpkin beer.Its just a spiced beer then. You still get a depth of character that i dont know why people dont detect this. IT Also gives a slick usually full body kinda creamy taste kinda like oats, i used lacto sugar in mine and its pretty slick.Kinda like oats or rye.

Back