SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeymjr23

Reaction score
So, I'm pretty new to everythiing still, but I'm trying to figure some stuff out...

I have been googling SMaSH recipes/ideas for Extract brewing, and I can't seem to find much.

Every recipe I find has no grains, or it seems like it's missing something.

Is it possible to do a SMaSH recipe as an extract brewer?

I don't think it's possible to do a true SMaSH with extract as most extracts are made with mostly 2-row and some Munich as well. Something like 95% 2-row and 5% Munich, or maybe it was 5% Carapils?? I'm no expert but I believe that's what I've read somewhere on these forums. When I was brewing with extract, I did a bunch of Single Hop IPAs/pale ales that turned out pretty well, though.

For it to be a TRUE SMaSH, there can be only one malt variety, and one hop variety used. You'd have to check with the manufacturer of the extract you use to see exactly which malts they use to make that particular extract.. or you can just call it a Single Hop IPA/Pale Ale and call it a day.

So, I'm pretty new to everythiing still, but I'm trying to figure some stuff out...

I have been googling SMaSH recipes/ideas for Extract brewing, and I can't seem to find much.

Every recipe I find has no grains, or it seems like it's missing something.

Is it possible to do a SMaSH recipe as an extract brewer?

I don't think there is any extract that uses a single malt, afaik.

BUT you could always do a SEaSH ;)

Thanks!

So...about the grains. Like I said, most of the recipes I'm seeing say nothing at all about grains.

If you're really looking to do a true SMaSH recipe, you will have to go All Grain, as I believe that all extracts contain more than one malt variety.

It seems to me that you might be looking to do a single variety of malt to be used as a steeping grain..?? Sorry, I'm just a little confused as to why you're asking about additional grains on top of extract when you're looking to do a SMaSH.

Go with extra light or light LME/DME and get hop. It is a good way to get a grasp on the different hop flavors. I have done a few not true SMeSH but the only thing I changed was the hops and it has given me a good idea of the flavor profiles.

Good luck with this post.
I posted a similar a few weeks back. Turned out to be 3 pages of name considerations.

Technical terms are SMESH or SHaME

Here are a couple ive picked up in my research to make it easier for you.

SMESH ESB
6.6 lb Maris Otter LME

2 oz East Kent Goldings 60m
1 oz East Kent Goldings 20m
1 oz East Kent Goldings 5 m

1 package of Nottingham yeast

CITRA SMeSH W/dry hop

60 minute boil
2 lb Pilsner DME at 30 min
4 lb Pilsner DME at 10 min
(or 6lbs Marris Otter)
1/2 oz Citra at 30 min