SMaSH style question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorisM

Reaction score
Hi all, I am wondering what style is my SMaSH I made with 2-row pils malt, Styrian goldings hops and Safale US-05. I was all about testing the malt but didn't get into the style...

Pale ale? Blonde ale? IPA? Depending on the grist size, hop bill, fermentation temperature, etc., you could have made a number of different styles. What do you think it tastes like?

Well, I like to think it tastes something like an pale ale but considering that I am a newbie, I am not sure if my experience is good enough to make such evaluation. I am pretty sure that I didn't give it enough hops to classify it as IPA but it could be that also, I don't know.

Fermentation was 21°C to 22°C and if by hop bill you mean the amount of hops, that was 40g-30g-30g for the 22l batch.

Unless you're entering a competition, the 'style' is just what you call it. SMaSH itself is a style, just not a BJCP style. I'd call it a blonde ale or a pale ale.

Yes, sounds like a pale to me, assuming you were doing a fairly typical hop addition schedule (e.g. 60, 15, and 5 minutes). If you're wondering what to tell your friends when you share it, I'd follow SnakeRidge's advice and call it your SMASH. If you really want to assign a BJCP style to it, look up the guidelines online, read through them (this is good general advice, anyway!) and see which one matches what you're tasting best.

Okay, so HBT app posted this message twice, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to delete the double, so now I am editing to minimize the annoyance to everyone else.

...sorryboutthat

I love making SMaSH beers and always use the same ingredients yet always have different beers. I buy 2 row Briess malt in the 55# sack and use about 10-11 pounds per batch. For hops, I add one ounce each at 60,15, and 5 minutes. For hops, I use "Magic Dust" from Austin Home Brew. It's a Hodge podge of different hops (swept up off the floor) and sold in one oz bags.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Beer/Pellet/Magic-Hop-Dust.html#.VSBMNZMln4U

Some are good, some are better but I can never make the same one again.

Back