SMaSH Non american?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Exploring options for the next SMaSH beer...possibly wanting to go non-american on this one.

Any ideas on which hops make a good single hop candidate?

I made one recently with NZ Cascade. Similar to US, but slightly more pronounced bitterness and more stone fruity aroma. Worth a try if you've done US Cascade SMaSH's and want to compare!

Did you have a style in mind? Pilsner and Saaz with a Belgian yeast makes a nice Patersbier/Enkel. I can also vouch for Vienna/Saaz for an easy drinking summer beer, either as a lager or clean ale. Besides EKG maris otter also makes a nice SMaSH with big bold hops - maybe one of the NZ or Australian hops if you're avoiding American.

Here's my "smash" beer English style-

3x Gold Bitter

7.5 lb Golden Promise
.5lb lyles golden
1.5 oz Goldings 60
.5 oz Goldings 15
.35 oz Goldings 0

mash 152

London ale III

I've never done a SMaSH, but my two single hop brews could be turned into:

Golden Promise/Styrian Aurora
Belgian Pale/Challenger

I'll second MO and EKG, especially if you haven't done any British beers. Or, although it's not a SMaSH, adding a touch of crystal will get you a simple and nice ordinary bitter.

I've used Vienna in a SMaSH and it works well. Maybe add a German hop and do a simple vienna lager.

Back