SMaSH Citra Session IPA - Feedback please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Sabio

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my 4th batch of all grain and I'm thinking of making a simple single hop single malt Citra Session IPA. I like light, crisp, and citrusy IPAs the most.

I've heard good things about loading hops toward the end of the boil with Citra instead of using them early boil. Two of my favorite beers (Smuttynose Finest Kind and Lone Pint Yellow Rose) both supposedly use pilsner malt only so that's what I'm going with.

Here's the recipe I've got so far derived using a calculator:

Citra SMaSH Session IPA - 3 gallons

Target OG: 1.052
Target FG: 1.009
Target ABV: 5.66%
Calculated IBU: 69

6 lbs Pilsner Malt - Mash @ 150F for 1 hour
1 Oz Citra @ 15 mins
2 Oz Citra @ 5 mins
1 Oz Citra Dry Hop for 5 days

SF-05 Yeast
Ferment @ 70F

Any thoughts on how this will turn out? I would love some feedback from you more experienced brewers! Thank you

Hey guys this is my 4th batch of all grain and I'm thinking of making a simple single hop single malt Citra Session IPA. I like light, crisp, and citrusy IPAs the most.

I've heard good things about loading hops toward the end of the boil with Citra instead of using them early boil. Two of my favorite beers (Smuttynose Finest Kind and Lone Pint Yellow Rose) both supposedly use pilsner malt only so that's what I'm going with.

Here's the recipe I've got so far derived using a calculator:

Citra SMaSH Session IPA - 3 gallons

Target OG: 1.052
Target FG: 1.009
Target ABV: 5.66%
Calculated IBU: 69

6 lbs Pilsner Malt - Mash @ 150F for 1 hour
1 Oz Citra @ 15 mins
2 Oz Citra @ 5 mins
1 Oz Citra Dry Hop for 5 days

SF-05 Yeast
Ferment @ 70F

Any thoughts on how this will turn out? I would love some feedback from you more experienced brewers! Thank you

I would bitter or FWH with a 1/2 oz...

ya definately something to bitter. 1/2 oz of columbus, magnum, chinook or if you want to stick to a smash, then citra.

I dunno, if you're going to do a SMaSH brew with pilsner malt I'd suggest step mashing. OR perhaps mash around 153-154 for 75-90 minutes. Gotta get as much color and sugar out of that malt as possible. ALSO, like everyone else has said, a bittering addition is pretty necessary for an IPA. Citra is a goto for me. I like the FWH process the best with citra.

I've had very good results with hopbursting from 20 or 30 minutes. I don't think you need a bittering addition, but probably another oz at 15 or 10.

I know I'm in the minority and you'll hear a lot of "you'll get cat piss", but I have used the following recipe 4 times now and each time its come out as an awesome beer:

Target OG: 1.063
Target FG: 1.014
7.2 SRM
59.6 IBU

5.75 gallon DMASH
13 lbs Maris Otter (I've also used 2-row here with no difference)
1 lb Honey malt
1.5 oz Citra (12.4% AA) @ 60 min
Whirlfloc @ 10 min
0.75 oz Citra (12.4% AA) @ 10 min
1.25 oz Citra (12.4% AA) @ 0 min
2 oz Citra (12.4 % AA) @ 7 day dry hop
Safale US-05

Mash @ 152 for 60 min (single infusion, batch sparge)

Ferment @ 67F for 14 days and keg targeting 2.3 vol CO2

I've made a couple changes here and there and its worked out well. I forgot to add the 0 min addition on a triple brew day (last beer of the day and I was tired) so I bumped the dry hop up to 3 oz with a good result. I think I'll move some of the 60 min addition to be FWH the next time I take this recipe out for a spin to see how it compares.

Back