SMaSH Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgreen4242

Reaction score
I ordered about 4# of hops, spread across maybe 6 varieties. I want to learn about their flavors, so I'm planning a series of small, 3 gal SMaSH batches to compare them. I like a hoppy APA, very, very much (drinking Founders Endurance Ale APA, which might be the best beer I've ever had, as we speak... errr, type).

I plain old 2-row the way to go for this? Or should I use Maris Otter or 6-row or something? I plan on using some Notty for these, because it's cheap, predictable, and should let the hops shine through.

My basic recipe outline for 3 gallon is something like 5# 2-row/grain (should be ~4.5% ABV), Notty, and enough hops to hit 35 IBUs split between first wort hopping and late additions (3 equal additions at 20, 10, and 5 min), plus ~.5oz dry hops.

What's your opinion? 2-row vs Maris vs <something else>? Is this is a good test setup in general?

I used 2 row for several batches. I used MO for one. I toasted some of the 2row, loved that one.

Great plan. I love doing single hop brews. my columbus (tomahawk or zeus) pale was awesome. tasted like ruby red grapefruit juice.

I used 2 row for several batches. I used MO for one. I toasted some of the 2row, loved that one.

Great plan. I love doing single hop brews. my columbus (tomahawk or zeus) pale was awesome. tasted like ruby red grapefruit juice.

What would you say about the difference between the 2 row and the MO? Noticeable? Anything stand out about either one?

Back