Smallest town/location with a brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALExanderH

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

What's the lowest populated town you know of with a commercial/craft brewery?

In east Iceland there is a beautiful brewpub called Beljandi in the tiny town of Breiðdalsvík with a population of 139. Curious if this might be the smallest place on earth with a brewery :)

Hmm, here near me there is a new brewery in Alpha, Michigan. It's called Alpha Brewing Company.

I'm not sure of the population so I googled it. Looks like the 2016 population was 136 but I'm pretty sure several of the oldest people died. So maybe 130(?).

Gravity Brewery, in Searcy County, Arkansas. The mailing address is Big Flat, but the brewery is miles from town. So, population zero? I suppose we should count the staff, but I don't have any numbers.

Edit: population of Big Flat was 105 in 2010.

Gravity Brewery, in Searcy County, Arkansas. The mailing address is Big Flat, but the brewery is miles from town. So, population zero? I suppose we should count the staff, but I don't have any numbers.

Edit: population of Big Flat was 105 in 2010.

I thought Searcy County was dry? I'll be darned.

That I know of, Woodbine IA pop. 1400, Brick Street Brewing. But from recently being from very NW Iowa and going to Minnesota a lot, it seems every town regardless of size in Minnesota has a brewery so I'm pretty sure there are some small towns there, smaller than 1400, that have breweries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smallest communitythat I know of with a commercial brewery is the Colonsay Brewery which is on the island of Colonsay off scotland, population 120.

https://colonsaybrewery.co.uk/our-island/

Otherwise there's quite a few breweries in the sticks in scotland, not sure how one would define what population they are part of

Arillas, Corfu (Greece), not the smallest but around 350-400 people and there is a growing micro-brewery which is slowly expanding their business to mainland Greece. They don't pasteurize and their beers taste like homebrew. I took a tour of their brewery and was impressed with their dedication and passion.

Bridgeport, CA - Population 575. (I'm surprised there are that many, really).

Just a small blip on highway 395, but a great jumping off spot for those that fish.

It's not the smallest town, but I remember reading an article that said Big Bend Brewing in Alpine, Texas was the most remote by whatever metric they used.

It's not the smallest town, but I remember reading an article that said Big Bend Brewing in Alpine, Texas was the most remote by whatever metric they used.
A lot of beautiful remote areas I’m glad I didn’t break down in there in Texas. But to be stranded and find a brewery. That only happens in dreams. And maybe a ccomercial or a country song or two. Lol.

Asking life's big questions...

If you brew on international waters, could you distribute to every country without it being considered an import?

What's the tallest brewery in the world?

What brewery has the most cats?

What's the most profitable brewery?

Which brewery produces the most unique beers per year?

Asking life's big questions...

If you brew on international waters, could you distribute to every country without it being considered an import?

No, you still import, buy it won't be export beer

What's the tallest brewery in the world?

What is the highest and lowest, is there underwater breweries?

Ones that use simcoe "hop"

What's the most profitable brewery?

One of the big ones i guess

Which brewery produces the most unique beers per year?

Hmmm... Good one

Ones that use simcoe "hop"

images

Back