Smallest chest freezer for single 5 gallon fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
What is the smallest chest freezer that would fit a 6 gallon bucket or 6.5 gallon carboy?

Looking to use it for fermentation.

When I bought one I found you really have to measure them each by hand, many of them have anomalies such as a hump for the compressor that changed what you can fit in. Why one carboy instead of two?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What is the smallest chest freezer that would fit a 6 gallon bucket or 6.5 gallon carboy?

Looking to use it for fermentation.

Measure your bucket to the top of the air lock. That's the smallest size.

Not trying to be wise guy, it's that simple. Then take your tape to the store.

I believe mine is 7.2cu ft and it fits two 6.5gallon buckets with airlocks. Then there is the space above the compressor volume that is largely wasted for me (although when I carb my kegs in there I set my rankin the shelf).

It's a petty tight fit for the buckets. They are pressed into opposite corners and I have to lean them away from each other to get them out without catching the ribs at the top.

I think that freezer was only about $200 on sale at lowes. I got it when I bought my house and had to get a lot of stuff at once, so the $200 was kind of a drop in the bucket. Since then we have upgraded to a ~15cu ft freezer, so the smaller one got repurposed for beer :)

I use that hump to keep my blow off container on.

I have a 7.2 and can only fit one 6.5 gallon glass carboy in it. The blow off tube is a tight fit as well with the bend at the top.

I use two 5cuft chest freezers as fermentation chambers. I make 10gal batches and ferment in 60L Speidel tanks.
dsc0231eg.jpg

When I bought mine I wanted to be able to fit two at a time so I took the lids of my bucket fermenters to the store with me and put them in the bottom of the freezer side by side to see if they would fit.

Is a 5 cu ft much smaller than a 7? For a small amount of additional space you could likely drop 2 in there…

I have a 7 cu ft and can fit 2 6 gal buckets and use the hump to keep whiskey and water, and LME or DME. I use the baskets for milled grains.

My chest freezer is a 5 cubic foot Danby I bought new at Walmart. It can only fit one 5 IMP gallon carboy at a time and is just barely deep enough to clear the airlock.

The hump over the compressor is just big enough to fit two one gallon glass jugs. I don't know if a Mr. Beer fermenter would fit there, looks like it might but I don't have one to try.

There are 3.5 cubic foot models available. If you are really pressed for space you might look at one of those. As long as your fermenter could fit into it you'd be alright if you are willing to modify it. You'd want to add a floor or stand even with the compressor hump and a collar to get the depth required.

The 5 cubic foot is probably the smallest no mod/no hassle option.

This looks perfect, needing something small. What brand and Model is this?

I have two of them. One is a GE and one is a Holiday. I couldn't tell you the exact model number, but what I can say is they both appear to have been made in the same factory in china, as there are some minor cosmetic differences, but they are otherwise identical. I'd imagine most 5cuft chest freezers will be the same thing.

I really like the fact that my single fermenter fits in it like a glove. I personally see many benefits to a vessel that barely fits into the temperature control chamber. I'm not one that would be happy putting multiple batches into a single temp chamber, so the smaller the better, imho.

Yup. I just bought a 5 cu ft GE from HD to use as a fermentation and lagering chamber. Will fit one carboy.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back