Smaller (for a 5 gallon kettle) BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scientifics

Reaction score
I currently have a 5 gallon kettle and have been doing extract + specialty partial boils. I would like to try out BIAB, but I'm not ready to spend the money on a 10 gallon kettle yet. What is a good size batch to look for? And what's a good way to get the right amount of ingredients for a <5 gallon batch (all the BIAB kits are for 5+ gallons).

I would target 2.75 gallon batches allowing for 1/4 gallon loos to FV trub.

Get an all grain recipe here on HBT and scale it to 2.75 gallons. Don't bother with a kit

Like Gavin said 2.5-3 gal is a good size, but you will probably have to do a small sparge as it's not quite large enough for a full volume mash IME. I used to do all 5 and 10 gal batches but have moved almost completely over to these smaller all grain batches in my old 5 gal pot. If you get a mill it's easier to maintain an inventory of grain since it lasts a long time uncrushed, then you aren't limited to kits. You can scale any all grain recipe to that size.

Staples sells a 10 gallon aluminum pot for like $29 if that helps you...

Good pot for the $ IMO.

Nothing wrong with doin a 1/2 batch, or 2.5 gallons either.

A 5-gallon kettle is fine for doing most recipes up to around 2.5 gallons. You may need to do a sparge for anything high gravity, and much depends upon your boil off rate and your grain absorption. If you squeeze the bag to recover some of the free wort, you should be fine.

I typically do 10 liter batches (~2.75 gallons) in a 5.5 gallon pot, with no problem.

I just did a 2.5 gallon batch in a 4 gallon pot, 6lbs of grain, no sparge, got 80% extraction efficiency. I did have to top off with water 1/2 gallon due to boil-off. Pre-boil volume was 2.85 gallons. OG of 1.062

I do 2.5 gallon "half batches" on the stove top in cold weather months when it's not fun to be brewing outside. I have my original 5 gallon BK and a cheap 3 gallon pot (garage sale special). I put half the water in each, mash, then use the other as a "pour-over" sparge. Ferment in 3 gallon carboys.

Works great.

Like the others, I do BIAB aiming for 2.5 gallons in the fermenter. I usually start 3.3ish, full volume mash, no sparge. After the mash, I put the bag in another small pot with a vegetable steamer bottom and it drains and collects there. As the main pot heata I pour the runoff from the bag into there. Yields about a case.

Its a nice size for Mr. Beer LBK or Brewdemon concial fermenters.

I just started...four 1.5 gallon batches in. I've been using a hybrid system. I use a 2 gallon Igloo Jug Cooler with a bag inside for my mash tun, and when the mash is done I insert my auto-siphon in between the bag and cooler wall and rack to my 4 gallon kettle, followed by batch sparging using the same method. Been starting with a two gallon boil in order to get 1.5 gallons in the 2 gallon bucket fermenter. I haven't technically calculated my efficiency yet, but since I'm hitting target OG numbers with recipes based on 75%, I assume I'm in the ballpark...though when I scale down 5 gallon recipes I tend to round up on the grains slightly which may be artificially boosting my apparent efficiency somewhat.

BIAB doesn't have to be full, preboil, volume. Mash at 1.2-1.3 qt/lb in you existing pot. Pull your bag and put it a colander onto the top of the pot, put the bag in it, and pour sparge water over it to get to your preboil volume. It can be cold water from the jug. split boil in two pots, or target 4 gallons from the boil and top off in the fermenter.

I just started...four 1.5 gallon batches in. I've been using a hybrid system. I use a 2 gallon Igloo Jug Cooler with a bag inside for my mash tun, and when the mash is done I insert my auto-siphon in between the bag and cooler wall and rack to my 4 gallon kettle, followed by batch sparging using the same method. Been starting with a two gallon boil in order to get 1.5 gallons in the 2 gallon bucket fermenter. I haven't technically calculated my efficiency yet, but since I'm hitting target OG numbers with recipes based on 75%, I assume I'm in the ballpark...though when I scale down 5 gallon recipes I tend to round up on the grains slightly which may be artificially boosting my apparent efficiency somewhat.

Nothing wrong with that method, but if you've got a 4 gallon kettle, you can mash in the same kettle. Once you're at mash temp, put the whole shebang in a preheated (but OFF) oven for the duration of the mash. One less thing to clean.

Another +1 for what Weezy said. I do up to 3.5 gallon post boil in my 5 gallon pot (4.25 gallon parboil). Just need to watch the hot break at the beginning of the boil.

Nothing wrong with that method, but if you've got a 4 gallon kettle, you can mash in the same kettle. Once you're at mash temp, put the whole shebang in a preheated (but OFF) oven for the duration of the mash. One less thing to clean.

Yeah, I originally intended to add a ball valve and bazooka screen to my mini mash tun, and then I discovered the bags, and it just seemed easier. Wasn't sure if I could hold the temp as accurately without the insulation the cooler provides, so that's why I started the way I did. Just using the bag instead of a screen/false bottom. Maybe I'll skip the cooler and try the oven method next time.

I do 2.5 gallon "half batches" on the stove top in cold weather months when it's not fun to be brewing outside. I have my original 5 gallon BK and a cheap 3 gallon pot (garage sale special). I put half the water in each, mash, then use the other as a "pour-over" sparge. Ferment in 3 gallon carboys.

Works great.

My method is similar to this. I usually do 2-3 gal batches, depending on OG and whether my 5 or 3 gal carboy will be used (don't want a 3 gal batch in the 3 gal carboy). I use a 5 gal pot for the mash with a 3 gal pot for the dunk sparge (usually use 2.0 gal/lb for the mash, with the rest in the sparge (usually 4-7 qts, depending - whatever the software says!). I'm usually using 5-6ish lbs of grain. After getting rid of the grains, I then mix the two "runnings" together for the boil... At most around 4 gals pre-boil (gotta watch closely for boil-overs there!).

Also use the warm oven method to keep mash temp. Boiling a Saison as I write this, and mashed at 150... Measured exactly 150 after 60 min in the warm oven! I used to wrap with towels or blankets on the stovetop, but the warm oven is much better - set it and forget it!

BIAB is very versatile!
I do full batches (5-6gal) in a 32L pot all the time (I think that's about 8.5-9gal)

I use all the grain needed to do a full batch, fill the kettle and mash away!
I then fill my kettle to a comfortable level, about 22-24 liters and proceed with the boil.
After cooling, I top up the fermenter to my desired volume/gravity and ferment!
I get full batches without having to upgrade my gear!

The purists at my brew club tell me i'm doing it all wrong.... but, my beer is just as drinkable as theirs!!
partial boils are done all the time with extract brews, so there is NO reason it can't be done with all-grain!!

Even with your 5 gal. pot, I'd give it a shot!! You'll have a more concentrated wort in the kettle and have to dilute it back once in the fermenter.... The only thing is you might have to use a bit more hops to get the desired bitterness.

Also keep in mind that that your efficiency will be lower using the BIAB method... so make sure you use the proper calculator

Also keep in mind that that your efficiency will be lower using the BIAB method... so make sure you use the proper calculator

I wouldn't aggree with you here. My recipes are formulated for a 77% brew house efficiency. This is not an outlier for most BIAB'ers I think.

Last brew mash eff was 92% and BH eff was 82%. Consistency is what is important though.

Instead of topping up you would be better served sparging the grain bag to your desired full volume. With your 8 gallon pot for 5.5 gallon batches a 7 gallon preboil volume is easily manageable. Fearmcap s could help. You will up your efficiency into the bargain saving some cash and one in the eye to your club naysayers. Just a thought.

I wouldn't aggree with you here. My recipes are formulated for a 77% brew house efficiency. This is not an outlier for most BIAB'ers I think.

Last brew mash eff was 92% and BH eff was 82%. Consistency is what is important though.

Instead of topping up you would be better served sparging the grain bag to your desired full volume. With your 8 gallon pot for 5.5 gallon batches a 7 gallon preboil volume is easily manageable. Fearmcap s could help. You will up your efficiency into the bargain saving some cash and one in the eye to your club naysayers. Just a thought.

Thanks for the feedback Gavin. I usually try to keep my preboil to 6 gal but all I use is a water bottle to control the hot break.... I have never try fermcap before but if my LHBS carries it, I will set up in the downhill in the driveway and give it a shot at 7 gal pre-boil...

Back