Smaller batch than planned - how much starter to pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oujens

Reaction score
I decided to do a late night brew and ran into a leaking mash tun which destroyed my efficiency. I used LME and a longer boil to hit my OG (1.052) but it left me with 4.75 gallons in the fermenter vs. the 5.25 planned. I have a 1L starter of 3068 ready to go (used stirplate; cold crashed and plan to decant). I'm in the camp that I don't like "too much" banana in my hefe, so I thought a normal starter would help. Now that I have less wort to pitch into, I think I should not pitch the whole starter so I don't way overpitch. Underpitching wouldn't be so bad since it is a hefe. How much should I pitch of my 1 liter starter? Also, should i forgo decanting at this stage to make sure I measure the amount pitched correctly? Can't seem to find the right thread to answer my question. I guess I could save the leftover from the starter for a future hefe. Going to let this chill down overnight before I pitch to make sure the temp is right. Thanks in advance.

A bigger pitch will reduce that banana character, but your fermentation temperature also plays a role in that. 1/2 gallon difference of wort isn't that big of a deal, I'd throw the whole starter in. If you don't have much headspace in your fermentor, make sure you've got a blowoff tube with that yeast.

Back