small partial mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manisfive

Reaction score
Does anybody have an opinion on whether partial mashing two pounds of grains is worth the time or does it just make more sense to stick with steeping grains. My boil volume is low right now because of my stoves inferior heating abilities. I can't mash much over two pounds due to not being able to do full boils. I want to put together some really simple (translates to cheap) recipes for house beer that highlights yeast character and/or hop character. I like the idea of partial mashing a small amount of grains but is it practical?

OHHH yeah for sure. You will be amazed at what just a couple of pounds of grain that YOU convert will add to the depth of a beer.

Its why people do partial mashes. There is always BIAB option as well if you have a little larger pot.

Cheers
Jay

I've done small PM's with great success. I do PB/PM BIAB in my 5 gallon ssstock pot. Works well,& topping off in fermenter always gives a strong OG.

Due to similar constraints and time, I have gone back to PM's from AG.

I direct fire mash on the stovetop, sparge back and forth between 2 pots with a stainless strainer, boil, top up big time and chill with ice.

Super effective, fantastic beer.

I mash whatever specialty grains and whatever base malt I can fit, and fortify it with Pale or Xtra Pale DME only.

If I want a stout I get the flavor from the specialty grains and sub DME for the pale malt that would go int an AG brew.

With a darker beer that does NOT have enough base malt, you must add some baking soda or you get the TWANG.

I've never heard of adding baking soda. What does it do?

Lowers the PH, essentially.

Base grains mash and add chemicals that react with the chemicals in dark grains. This is ideal, but if you have 1 lb roasted, 1 lb black patent and 2 lbs is max, then you can't have base grains.

The alternative, is a small amount of sodium bicarbonate to counteract the acidity created by the unbalanced dark grains.

BYO had an excellent article on it.

Back