Small kegerator with a dorm cube fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdbc2011

Reaction score
Do you think this will work?

I am planning to make a two-keg kegerator by making a 24 x 18 x 28 box with a 14 x 14 whole in the back where the fridge is attached to the box. I will have 2" insulation on all four sides and top and bottom. I will also have a computer fan to circulate the air. The 5 lb CO2 tank will be inside the kegerator.

I will start with a few frozen bottles of water to help with the cool-down.

Might work, but my guess is it'll not be too efficient in its cooling capacity. For the effort, etc., I'd scour Craigslist for a cheap deep freeze to convert.

Might work, but my guess is it'll not be too efficient in its cooling capacity. For the effort, etc., I'd scour Craigslist for a cheap deep freeze to convert.

I am planning on using it when I camp (fifth wheel). It will be small enough to put in the camper and assemble when I arrive at the campground.

I see. Still, not sure if it'd work or not, but who knows. How long do you stay at camp? You could mess around with a cooler modification and ice?

I just ordered a 3 gal keg to fit in a 10 gal cooler for camping trips. I figure it'll last reasonably well with ice for a few days. I've also considered some modifications to accommodate the hight of a normal 5 gal corny.

We will camp for 2-3 weeks most of the time, but next fall we will be at a campground for the entire months of September and October. I have the fridge and plenty of plywood so I guess I will give it a try. If it does not work, then I will get a small chest freezer.

If I was camping and hiking and fishing for a month it would take at least 2 five gallon cornies just for me, the others better take care of themselves. seriously you need more capacity in beer storage.

Cooled two kegs to from 75 to 46 degrees. The temperature was taken at the top of the kegs (water). Temps were in the high seventies during the day and the low was about 65. It took about 30 hours to cool but I will use ice packs to speed the process.

portable keg 1.jpg

portable keg 2.jpg

Thats pretty cool! You could even use some dry ice to get the internal temp down fast. Does it only hold two kegs, or can you fit more inside?

Thats pretty cool! You could even use some dry ice to get the internal temp down fast. Does it only hold two kegs, or can you fit more inside?

Yes, just two kegs and the co2 tank. The dry ice is a good idea.

Cooled two kegs to from 75 to 46 degrees. The temperature was taken at the top of the kegs (water). Temps were in the high seventies during the day and the low was about 65. It took about 30 hours to cool but I will use ice packs to speed the process.

Well done, sir.

Thats pretty sweet! Now if I can just figure out how to get something similar in our 2-man tent that is 48" at the highest...maybe make the wife sleep outside?

Back