small fridge for fermenting chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_Climber

Reaction score
It seems that most use the 3cuft to 4.5cuft fridge to build a fermentation chamber....but what about small dorm size fridges....like the 1.2 to 1.5 cuft foot size...the smaller ones. I planned on building a box extension anyway but my concern was if the fridge will be big enough to cool? Any one use this size?? And how did it work?

If you fit it, it will work. The energy required to hold at a cold temp is very little. It's getting there that might take a while. Don't forget a thermostat.

It's getting there that might take a while

That is a much better way of putting my concern...if I put a carboy in there at 68degs...and it starts fermenting, as usually the temp will raise, and will the smaller fridge be able to keep up and keep the carboy at 68deg.

I already have a STC-1000 temp controller and plan on putting a fan inside to keep air moving....

I have fermented in an old Summit kegerator at 5 cf. No problems holding lager temps during fermentations. That said, it's a pretty robust little fridge and will freeze things if you turn it down without a temp controller on it.

Latest posts

Back