Small batches - Carbonator Cap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GearHead71

Reaction score
I have a standard kegerator with two taps and two 5 gallon corny kegs. I want to keep those full of "everyday" beer but then be able to make and store small batches for 2 reasons:

1. To easily bring places (Parties, Holidays, or even to the locker room after hockey games)
2. For experimental stuff that I don't want/need 5 gallons of

My thought is to use 2 liter soda bottles and a Carbonator Cap. The brewing/fermentation process would be the same but then to "bottle" the beer I would:

1. Purge each 2L bottle with CO2
2. Transfer the beer from the fermenter into each bottle (limiting Oxygen Exposure and head space)
3. Put maybe 30PSI of CO2 on the bottle and shake (repeat maybe 3 or 4 times)
4. Remove the Carbonator Cap and squeeze the 2L until the beer is at the very top
5. Put the original plastic cap back on
6. Move on to the next 2L and repeat process

What are your thoughts? Will this stay carbed for a week or 2? Or is there a better/easier way make, store, and transport small batches?

Thanks!

I use carb caps and 1L PET bottles for homemade rootbeer and it works great. I think it would be fine for beer. It might work better if you leave the carb cap on, rather than letting CO2 escape by switching to regular caps. Unless you plan on filling a lot of bottles, you can get the good ss carb caps for around $10 each. Just make sure your party guests return the caps. :)

I remember an episode of Basic Brewing Video where they used screw top cans from a commercial beer to take their homebrew on a camping trip.

beer.jpg

So I bought the Carbonator Cap which should be here today. However, last night my wife said that will look tacky bring to holiday parts and what not so she "talked" me into buying a 2.5 gallon keg and a portable tap and regulator!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DR6R8Z...olid=3KYZO247IJ44I&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm brewing on Sunday but plan on doing a full batch, kegging some in my new 2.5 gallon keg, some in my neighbors 1.6 gallon keg, then the rest I'm going to put into 2 liters to see how that Carbonator Cap works.

I could see what you are talking about working. I might be tempted to get a few carb caps vs trying to swap out the cap on a carbonated beer. A downside of this approach is that your beers are all in 2L bottles.

I looked into options for small batches, and decided that my small batches would either go into a 2.6 gal keg or I would bottle them. Bottling a 1 to 2.5 gal batch is not that much work.

I could see what you are talking about working. I might be tempted to get a few carb caps vs trying to swap out the cap on a carbonated beer. A downside of this approach is that your beers are all in 2L bottles.

I looked into options for small batches, and decided that my small batches would either go into a 2.6 gal keg or I would bottle them. Bottling a 1 to 2.5 gal batch is not that much work.

I'm going to give the Cab cap a shot to see how it works. It would be a nice option to have. now that I have the 2.5 gallon keg I'll definitely be using that for small batches though. But 2L would be good for bringing places you don't want to have to worry about your keg at. or to give to friends.

I have a couple of the caps and just leave them on the bottle but I am sure your approach would work. The carbonation caps fit on smaller soda bottle too so you can do different sizes of beers.

If you are just looking to take beer somewhere I would just transfer from the keg to a growler or one the small mini kegs then mess with the 2L approach. Takes a lot of washing and rinsing to get rid of soda smell, maybe start with soda water bottles.

Beer for friends or packaging beer for contest this is what I use, would work good for a few beers you want to take a party or somewhere too.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun.24678/

I'm going to give the Cab cap a shot to see how it works. It would be a nice option to have. now that I have the 2.5 gallon keg I'll definitely be using that for small batches though. But 2L would be good for bringing places you don't want to have to worry about your keg at. or to give to friends.

One tip for the Carb caps. If you open a 2L beer and do not finish the beer, you can squeeze the bottle to push out all the air, attach the cap, then refill the bottle with CO2.

2a. You do want to leave some headspace after filling. Squeeze the 2L until the beer is at the very top before tightening the carb cap to purge most air (oxygen) out.

Last edited:
Back