• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Maryland Small Batch Custom-Built Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarlyAmateurZymurgist

Reaction score
The kettle being sold in this listing holds 24 quarts (6 gallons) when filled to the top. It was designed with 2.5 to 3.0-gallon all-grain batches in mind, which are perfect for the older brewer who does not want to have to lift 5+ gallons of wort or drink 5-gallons of any given beer. All of the content used in it's construction except for the hose barb is of American or Japanese manufacture. This sale is an opportunity to own a completely custom small batch brew kettle with big kettle features. This kettle is only twelve inches in diameter, which means that it will fit on larger residential gas stoves.
I have over $300.00 invested in its construction (the stockpot and lid alone cost $190.00 because the lid has to be purchased separately with this line); therefore, $125.00 is as low as I can go price-wise, and that price is for local cash and carry pickup. Interested parties should send a pm.

VollTriPly1_zps0b570b70.jpg

VollTriPly2_zps87db27f7.jpg

VollTriPly3_zps3cfa7c38.jpg

VollTriPlyPickupTube_zps9a1831e3.jpg

VollJaybird_zps58227aa5.jpg

VollTigWeld_zps3fd5c678.jpg

VollTigWeldInside_zps1b82ea48.jpg

VollBottom_zpsbdb3c831.jpg

VollPickup_zpsc5af5cf3.jpg

If I have not lost you, the kettle was fabricated from an American-made induction-ready Vollrath Tri-Ply 24-quart (6-gallon) stock pot. The 3/8ths full-port ball valve is an American-made Apollo 76F-102-27 (i.e. it's a thirty-something dollar NSF/ANSI-certified ball valve instead of a who knows where it was manufactured and to what standard ten dollar ball valve). The ball valve comes with latching and non-latching handles (I purchased the latching handle after purchasing the valve in it's -01 non-latching form). I chose 3/8ths because 1/2" is just too big for a kettle of this size.

The Jaybird false bottom was manufactured by NorCal to my specs. I bent and flared the stainless steel pickup tube (the tube goes on the 37-degree flare fitting, not in the fitting, and only needs to be finger tight in use). I also drilled and chamfered the pickup tube hole in the false bottom using a floor drill press and a step bit. The pickup tube is cut at an angle such that the bottom of the tube remains parallel with the bottom of the kettle. The gap is roughly 1/16th of an inch between the bottom of the pickup tube and the bottom of the kettle.

The stainless steel coupler which is used to attach the ball valve to the kettle is welded to the kettle, which, unlike a weld-less setup, will never leak. The sugar-free single-side TIG weld was performed by an American Welding Society-certified welding shop that specializes in stainless steel fabrication (i.e., they do work for breweries, dairies, and food processing plants). There is very little dead space under the false bottom when used as a mash tun.

Nice build man! Glad to see it come together!

Thanks for letting me do your false bottom build! It looks like you nailed the size perfect!

Someone will get a great kettle.

Cheers
Jay

Hmm Let me think on this. Might be just what I 'need' for my small 2 gallon BIAB setup to become a bit more user friendly. Super slick

Jay,

Thanks for the compliments. This kettle is the second small kettle that I built with a Jaybird false bottom. There is almost no room for error when one plans to rest the false bottom on the radius at bottom of the kettle in order to minimize dead space. NorCal met my spec within a tight tolerance.

Jay,

Thanks for the compliments. This kettle is the second small kettle that I built with a Jaybird false bottom. There is almost no room for error when one plans to rest the false bottom on the radius at bottom of the kettle in order to minimize dead space. NorCal met my spec within a tight tolerance.

Thanks for the shout out! We do try to get within a 1/64" or less on the custom builds. Its hard to do when cutting by hand, but we do it for the love of beer! :D:D:D

Cheers
Jay

I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering if this pot is still available. I'm very interested.

Back