Small Batch BIAB Calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgaepi

Brewer In Need Of Guidance
Reaction score
So, I know stuff is out there on figuring out calculations for BIAB. But most have other factors that I don't have like false bottoms, etc.

I returned to brewing after a 3-year hiatus. I've downsized from 5g to hopefully 2.5g. I invested in an Ss brew bucket mini and a 5.5g kettle.

What has me stumped is that I returned back to Brew365 to calculate my mash water amount. I put in 2.5g finished. Plus a grain bill of 5.4p. After accounting for a traditional 1g boil loss and an assumption of .5g trub loss, it told me my starting amount is 5.05g. That just seems high.

Can anyone recommend a calculator specific for BIAB? I would assume that I would be closer to 4g at start. Thanks.

I do 2 gallon batches in a 5 gal ss pot and a 5 gal cooler.

For 5lbs of grain I use between 2.8 and 3 gallons of water w/a boil off about 3/4 gal/hr

My trub loss in mash varies between. .25 gal and .3 gal

I've made a spread sheet and keep records for each brew.

If you are mashing in a cooler, I assume that means you aren't doing BIAB. Although I know some do both for small batches. Any preference when doing small batches? BIAB vs Cooler? Prob little difference of water loss in cooler (with bazooka tube) over BIAB.

I do 2 gallon batches in a 5 gal ss pot and a 5 gal cooler.

For 5lbs of grain I use between 2.8 and 3 gallons of water w/a boil off about 3/4 gal/hr

My trub loss in mash varies between. .25 gal and .3 gal

I've made a spread sheet and keep records for each brew.

I have been using Brewer's Friend (http://www.brewersfriend.com/) for a while with good luck. Their recipe calculator has BIAB setting under "Brew Methods". There is a free trial that you can that limits five recipes which you can edit later. You can set your brew method, batch size, and other factors for your system as default so you just have to worry about recipes.

Is there anyway to reset the parameters back to square one? And then save it for myself? Looks like a lot of preset info in there. Thanks.

Can't reset, but once you get the hang of changing the parameters it's pretty easy..

Changed info as needed.

Then the brew info on the second pic.

price1.png

price2.png

I brew 2.5 gallon batches, mash in a cooler, brew in a 22 qt pot on an induction burner with a healthy boil and start with 4 gallons of water. I generally end up with 2.5 gallons in a 3 gallon Better Bottle fermenter with enough to check gravity and maybe a few ounces left over. Beer smith always tells me to use more water than necessary.

If you are mashing in a cooler, I assume that means you aren't doing BIAB. Although I know some do both for small batches. Any preference when doing small batches? BIAB vs Cooler? Prob little difference of water loss in cooler (with bazooka tube) over BIAB.

I BIAB in the cooler to maintain mash temp. I pre-heat the cooler before mashing and once the mash begins I slide a piece of cardboard covered in Al. Foil to help main constant temp.

Here is a video I made a few years ago showing process. I've tweeked a bit since the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back