Smacked yeast pack...don't need it now!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I didn't think my beer was fermenting, and I bought a new smack pack, smacked it, and went to use it, but of course (after nearly 72 hours) the beer is fermenting. :drunk:

Now I have this smacked, swelled wyeast pack. What should I do with it to store? Can I just put it as is in the fridge, then make a starter with it in a week or two for my next batch? Or should I leave it out? Or open the pack and store in a different container?

Also, what other kinds of beer can I use wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen for, other than dunkels and hefes?

Thanks!:mug::mug:

onipar said:
Hey all,

So I didn't think my beer was fermenting, and I bought a new smack pack, smacked it, and went to use it, but of course (after nearly 72 hours) the beer is fermenting. :drunk:

Now I have this smacked, swelled wyeast pack. What should I do with it to store? Can I just put it as is in the fridge, then make a starter with it in a week or two for my next batch? Or should I leave it out? Or open the pack and store in a different container?

Also, what other kinds of beer can I use wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen for, other than dunkels and hefes?

Thanks!:mug::mug:

Keep it in the fridge and make a starter when ready, it's fine.

As for beers to brew, experiment and try something new!

Keep it in the fridge and make a starter when ready, it's fine.

As for beers to brew, experiment and try something new!

Right on, thanks! Yeah, i sorta wanted to do something other than a wheat, but I wasn't sure what would be good. Maybe some kind of "banana bread" ale...

Back