Smacked yeast, now raining. What now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtbrewcrafter

Reaction score
Hey guys. I was all pumped for a brew day today and smacked my yeast packet this morning. Now its decided to rain. What should I do now? Cant do the boil on the burner because the rain would get all in it. How long will the yeast pack be good for? What should I do if I cant brew until next Saturday?

Thanks
Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do you have the equipment to do starters. If it was me I would put the pack in the fridge after an hour or so and then make a starter before brew day to get the yeast active again.

Yes. I can do that. So just stick it in the fridge after it swells and then about Weds or Thurs make a starter as usual?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have done the same. Make a starter like stated to save the yeast. If you have any sort of DME use that. 2 cups of water 1/2 cup of dme. Bring water to a boil, add dme let it boil for 10 minutes then cool it to about 70 degrees. add that to a vessel, you can use a Erlenmeyer flask or Like I did as I was in a bind, use a glass mason jar. add the smack pack to the "beer" in the vessel, and place tinfoil over the opening of the jar. make sure to properly clean and sanitize the mason jar as well as spray some startsan sollution on the tin foil prior to placing it on the vessel. Good luck!

Yea if you plan on brewing on saturday, than I would start it on Thursday. 24-36 hours is usual

Just account for the extra water from the rain by reducing your boil off amount by a little. Don't be scared of a little water ;) You'll probably be better off waiting and making a starter to have ready for next weekend. I agree with tossing it in the fridge. It'll be fine for the few days before you make the starter.

Latest posts

Back