Smacked over a Week ago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KavDaven

Reaction score
Hello, I bought a Wyeast Smack Pack over a week ago.

When I got home I went to put the pack in the fridge and thought it was a little inflated. Today, I take the pack out and I can't feel the yeast pouch inside and the pack is definitely inflated.

I have the pack on the counter coming up to room temp. If it continues to expand, I suppose it might still be good. I'm worried about the health of the yeasties being smacked over a week ago.

Any thoughts? Pitch and forget? Trash it and buy another?

Wyeast 1056 American Ale, 02MAY13, No starter planned, 1.050 OG, Cream Ale, All Grain

1056 is sometimes inflated before smacking for me, I think it's pretty common with that strain. But if you are worried about yeast viability I would definitely make a starter, it only takes 15 or so minutes and then you can be sure your yeast is OK.

Your yeast is over 2 months old I would definitely make a starter. Your yeast according to yeastcalc has 58% viability. A 1-1.5 Liter starter should do the trick.....

Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 8.18.53 AM.jpg

Latest posts

Back