Smack pack problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warex

Reaction score
I smacked a Wyeast smack pack 12 hours ago and it hase not puffed out at all.
At this point I feel that it is a bad bag. I have never had this happen before. Worst the local home brew supply is closed tomorrow. So I am going to have yo let my wort set for at least 56 hours with no yeast or go buy some from the brewery tomorrow. The problem with that is I was trying to use 1028 London yeast and all the brewery has is 1056 American Ale yeast.

This batch was manufactured on October 27 So it only 2 weeks old.

What's the OG of your beer?

OG: 1.052

I haven't put the yeast in the beer because the smack pack hasn't swollen at all. I haven't had one that has just sat there flat for a couple of hours much less 12.

Yes that is the real problem. the wart is sitting in the carboy with an air lock on it but no yeast.

I would pitch it anyway, it's not going to hurt the beer, and it could just be a bad nutrient pack, the yeast might be fine. If it hasn't started fermenting by the time you can get more yeast, pitch again.

I had one with verry little expantion if any. I pitched it and now I am drinking a great beer. Pitch it and see what happens.

I pitched it. After all it is the only thing that I can do until I get done work tomorrow anyway.

Normally I would have got my yeast going before I brewed. I just decided to brew it when I woke up this morning.

Another pack solved my problem.

I sent an email to wyeast and didn't get any response. I am more pissed about that than the bad yeast.

Very bad customer service!

I had one a few months back that took a week to puff up! I don't remember what strain, the beer turned out fine.

Back