Smack Pack didn't puncture but pitched anyway—Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncoutroulis

Reaction score
So this is my second brew and a couple things potentially went wrong, the first being the pitching of the yeast.

It was a Wyest smack pack.

took it out of the fridge a few hours before brewing and smacked it—I thought it activated the pack inside, but didn't find out until a few hours later, that the little bag inside, containing some dark brown liquid, didn't puncture, and thus didn't mix with the yeast.

I tore the bag and pitched the whole thing anyway—then shook the carboy around for a bit.

any thoughts on this?

thanks

So this is my second brew and a couple things potentially went wrong, the first being the pitching of the yeast.

It was a Wyest smack pack.

took it out of the fridge a few hours before brewing and smacked it—I thought it activated the pack inside, but didn't find out until a few hours later, that the little bag inside, containing some dark brown liquid, didn't puncture, and thus didn't mix with the yeast.

I tore the bag and pitched the whole thing anyway—then shook the carboy around for a bit.

any thoughts on this?

thanks

that little pack is nutrient. you may get a slow start but the yeast should kick in eventually.

Yeah, you are all good man. I have had this happen to me as well and I did the same thing. just cut the bag open and poured it is. It fermented with no problem.

I learned something rather intrinsic about those smack packs. I try to locate the packet inside to rest in the palm of my hand. Then hit it with the butt of my other hand. Dang thing squirts out of place more often as not. then I decided to look at the directions for smacking it one day. You hold it in one hand while smacking it with fingers of the other hand. kinda like clapping. Breaks the inner packet more easily. But several times, I've gotten them with 2 or even 3 nutrient packets inside. Makes them a bear to break open.

So it's been almost 3 days since pitching this and I'm not seeing any signs of fermentation. Should I be concerned? Curious what I should do

Thanks

Look and see if there's that tell-tail "ring around the collar"- that'll be the crud ring the receding krausen leaves on the sides of the fermenter above the liquid line. Or if there's little islands of foam/bubbles with yeast rafts remaining on the surface.

Didn't look like anything above the liquid. On the very bottom is a large ring of lighter colored stuff.

Was thinking of re-pitching tonight if it's still looking the same. Instead of the 2112 lager I have s33 dry yeast which is an ale. Curious why the store didn't give me an ale yeast to begin with since that's what I'm brewing!

Well the temp strip is saying about 66. And I've put a blanket in it to keep light out. Sounds like it may be too warm?

Should I move it to a cooler place?

since it was a lager yeast, you certainly underpitched if you are making five gallon batch. Lager yeast tend to take awhile even when pitched with the proper cell count. you will probably start to see action soon, but i would move it to somewhere cooler.

Is it too late to move it to a cooler place?

And then should I hold off on repitching with the dry yeast?

Update. Just got home and now after almost 3 days there is activity! Thin layer of krausen on top and some bubbling in the airlock.

Sounds like I don't need to repitch, right? I've also moved it to a slightly cooler area

since it was a lager yeast, you certainly underpitched if you are making five gallon batch. Lager yeast tend to take awhile even when pitched with the proper cell count. you will probably start to see action soon, but i would move it to somewhere cooler.

^^^This

Update. Just got home and now after almost 3 days there is activity! Thin layer of krausen on top and some bubbling in the airlock.

Sounds like I don't need to repitch, right? I've also moved it to a slightly cooler area

So what you have done is to start a Hybrid beer. It is usually an ale fermented with Lager yeast and fermented at ale temperatures.

California Common is an example.

I would not be too concerned at getting it very cold. Cool should suffice.

Do I need to repitch? Someone else is suggesting that I do that with the dry ale yeast

No need to repitch. Just let it ride. Next time you pitch a lager yeast you will want to almost quadruple the amount that you pitched this time, And keep it in the low to mid 50s

All that will happen due to the smaller than optimal pitch (hopefully) is that it needs to sit and age a little longer for the green beer flavors to go away.

For future brews, try this:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html#"

You'll see quickly why so many of us rig up cheap and ugly stir plates. It helps build up a large pitch of yeast from a single smack pack or vial.

I would let this yeast go, but let it ferment warmer than a typical lager. Hold the fermenting wort temperature under 68°F for your hybrid beer. The temperature range for this yeast is 58° to 68°F.

I would let this yeast go, but let it ferment warmer than a typical lager. Hold the fermenting wort temperature under 68°F for your hybrid beer. The temperature range for this yeast is 58° to 68°F.

+1. I Didn't realize this was the California lager strain.

thanks

but was the the "correct" yeast to use for a brown ale? Curious why they would give me a lager yeast.

Here is a link to Wyeast strains with their recommendations for different styles.
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_styleguidelines.cfm#sg2

Thanks

of the 3 types of brown ales on that site, none recommend the yeast that was given to me by the LHB shop. I was suspect before i started brewing, but didn't say anything.

Curious how this comes out, but i'm doubtful about it being drinkable.

thanks

Thanks

of the 3 types of brown ales on that site, none recommend the yeast that was given to me by the LHB shop. I was suspect before i started brewing, but didn't say anything.

Curious how this comes out, but i'm doubtful about it being drinkable.

thanks

Most likely was a personal preference of the home brew shop guy. I think your beer will be drinkable. May come out a little on the sweet side, but with good body. Give this one plenty of time for the yeast to do their best as far as attenuation goes.

Back