Smack pack didn't inflate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
I've read a few posts about this, but wanted to ask a specific question. First, the details:

It's a Wyeast 3068 pack. It was a new package, only a few weeks old. I had it in the fridge the whole time. I smacked it the night before I was going to brew. The next morning it hadn't swelled, so I smacked it a few more times to be sure. By time the brew was done, it still hadn't swelled.

It did seem like it got a little bigger, but it's hard to tell. I held it up to my ear after swishing it around and heard sizzling inside...not sure if that means much.

I would have made a starter (and now I wish I had!!!), but I was afraid if I over pitched I wouldn't get the nice esters for the Dunkelweizen I made. I'm probably misinformed on that front anyway, so let's ignore that for now...

Anyway, I went ahead and pitched the yeast. The nutrient pack was broken. It's been 24 hours with no noticeable activity.

How long should I wait before pitching a different yeast?

The only other yeast I have is a dry packet of Windsor, and I REALLY don't won't to use it unless I absolutely have to. LHBS is an hour away and I don't have the time to get there.

Thanks!:mug:

It's only been 24 hours. You're only allowed to think of alternatives after 72 hours and a gravity reading that hasn't dropped at all, proving there is no fermentation.

For now just wait. I'm sure it'll be fine. In the future make a starter every time you use liquid yeast. Even if you want to underpitch a little bit you can make a small starter. But either way a starter will ensure they are active and viable.

It's only been 24 hours. You're only allowed to think of alternatives after 72 hours and a gravity reading that hasn't dropped at all, proving there is no fermentation.

For now just wait. I'm sure it'll be fine. In the future make a starter every time you use liquid yeast. Even if you want to underpitch a little bit you can make a small starter. But either way a starter will ensure they are active and viable.

Yeah, I'm sorta kicking myself now for not doing the starter. I have all the special equipment to do it (even a stir plate), but thought better of it (because of what I mentioned earlier). Meanwhile I've been dying to try out the stir plate. Sometimes I make dumb decisions! :drunk:

It will be fine. I'm not familiar with that strain, but I've noticed that not all strains puff up the pack in an hour or two like some of the others do. Like Reno said, you're not allowed to think the yeast is bad yet ;)

I had a wyeast pack that I put out in the sun to warm it up after being in the fridge. Needless to say, I forgot about it and about an hour later it was almost hot to touch?! :eek: So, I let it cool off a bit before smacking it, but it never did swell as I began to think I probably killed the yeast. I pitched it anyway after reading that the packs don't always inflate. Well, I never got any activity in my airlock after 72 hours, so I did another gravity reading and nothing had changed. So, I went and got another wyeast pack and pitched again after re-aerating the wort and sure enough, within a couple of hours, I had airlock activity!

Yesterday I brewed a xmas ale with a target OG of 1.075 so I had two wyeast packs and one of them swelled full while the other one barely swelled at all. I added both of them and my fermenter was going crazy within an hour! :)

I've always had a smack pack expand, and within 2 hours. Infact, I've started smacking them halfway through mashing, because I'll pull them out of the fridge, smack it, and by the time I pitch the pack is so expanded they are almost hard to open! I used some yesterday that was a beast.. but the born on date was 3 days from when I brewed too. FRESH!

That said, it's there to "proof" the yeast and be sure they are viable.. If nothing happens, I'd be slightly worried the yeast wasn't kept right. Not always the case, but it's there to show it's working already before you try to use them.

Well, thanks everybody. I did smack it the night before, which is why I was worried...

If I had any other yeast of this variety, I would have used it.

I will give it the 72 hours, but assuming nothing happens, is the Windsor yeast a "good" one? I never used it before and I vaguely remember hearing bad things about it.

I just wish I was able to get to the LHBS.

I always put mine somewhere a bit warmer and it seems to help them inflate, whereas I've noticed if I just put it on the counter top they only inflate a small amount, if at all.

onipar said:
Well, thanks everybody. I did smack it the night before, which is why I was worried...

If I had any other yeast of this variety, I would have used it.

I will give it the 72 hours, but assuming nothing happens, is the Windsor yeast a "good" one? I never used it before and I vaguely remember hearing bad things about it.

I just wish I was able to get to the LHBS.

Most people tend to not like the Windsor. Other have had success. I think if you do use it be sure to ferment on the cool side, >65 degrees, because I've heard the ester profile is nasty.

When you say you smacked it, you mean that you located the bag within the bag and broke it open right? If so, then I'm not sure how you would smack it again. I've never had one fail to swell after 24 hours except for one that my friend left in his car on a 90 F day. :eek:

^^ good point. You have to make sure the inner pouch actually ruptured and that all the yeast squeezed out into the nutrient solution.

When you say you smacked it, you mean that you located the bag within the bag and broke it open right? If so, then I'm not sure how you would smack it again. I've never had one fail to swell after 24 hours except for one that my friend left in his car on a 90 F day. :eek:

What I mean is I smacked it and it seemed like the inner pounch was ruptured. But the next day when I checked and it hadn't swelled, I thought maybe I missed the inner pouch, so I attempted to smack it again, just to be sure.

I don't know if I'd ruptered the inner pack the first time or the second time, but when I pitched the yeast, the inner pouch was ruptured...so I know I got it at some point...

I just wanted to update on this and once again thank everyone for their help.

After nearly three days the fermentation really took off. It has been fermenting vigorously ever since, so it looks like all is well. I'm a little worried about some off flavors from underpitching, but I'll just age it out a bit more and hope for the best.

You may have noticed my other thread and that I did jump the gun and buy a second pack of yeast. I ended up smacking it onthe thrid day, only hours before noticing that fermentation had started. I popped it in the fridge (the smacked yeast pack) and plan to do a starter and use it in my Ghoulish Graf later this week.

Anyway, thanks again! :tank:

^^ good point. You have to make sure the inner pouch actually ruptured and that all the yeast squeezed out into the nutrient solution.
The yeast is in the main pouch. The nutrient is in the inner pouch. Even if you don't rupture the inner pouch, it won't make much difference other than causing some stress for the brewer.

-a.

Back