Smack Pack bladder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfire

Reaction score
Sorry for the noob post, I did search- "smack pack". I have a Porter on the stove now and I am about to pull it and chill it down. I have a Wyeast Activator that I popped this AM, it has swollen up and looks ready to go, my question is:

Do I need to make sure whatever vessel I "popped" inside the pack does not go into my fermenter? OR do I just cut it open and pour everything into the wort in the fermenter?

Thanks a lot.

There is a little bag inside, just pour and watch and grab it it out when it gets close to the edge.

Just cut a small triangle off the end of the package, this way it won't fall out into your fermenter. That's what I do and it's worked fine every time. It's enough to pour all the yeast out but small enough the bladder won't fit through. If it were to get in though it wouldn't be a problem. It's already been in with the yeast so not a big deal.

Rev.

I've only done one brew so far but when I did mine I didn't even see the "bladder". I just cut the corner of the bag after sanitizing the bag and the scissors and dumped away. I don't think if it did get in there it wouldn't hurt anything. If you have to worry about the bladder you probably should be worried about the yeast also.

Points well taken....just being a noob:D This is only my third batch and first time using liquid yeast.

Thank you all for your help.

Back