Slowly leaking corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hasseg

Reaction score
Hi,
my cornelius keg is letting off pressure, but I do not seem to find where. I have tried to put water to see bubbles to no awail. It is also only leaking down to the pressure of 1.6 Bar. Do anyone have any idea what could be leaking? The keg is emptying out all my Co2.
cheers
Hasse

Out of curiosity, did you just put plain water on the keg to look for leaks or was it soapy water?

Yes, I filled the keg up some extra with the Co2 and then I used soapy water (the same as with bicycle tires). No sign of any bubbles though.

Did you spray it with the disconnects attached? That could be a source of leakage. Did you spray all of the connections? Did you install the plastic gasket between the regulator and the tank valve?

I use a product called snoop to check my fittings or anything else that is leaking air or co2. Squirt it on the tops and base of posts, and around the lid and it will show you where any leaks are. Make sure you are putting the lid in the right orientation.With the "gas in" post to your right insert the lid and pull the lid handle towards you. A little keg lube on the 'O' ring helps.
If you are using just the one keg then you might be leaking somewhere else. I would check every fitting. A way to test is to disconnect your keg from the system, pressurize your inline and shut off the tank. You should see absolutely no loss of CO2 past the gauge. I can disconnect from a keg and shut off the CO2 and not loose pressure for months.

Could be in you regulator also diaphram screw that makes it plunge in !Hairline fracture inside corny on seem somewhere up high inside of keg where beer wouldnt touch it !

Hi,
my cornelius keg is letting off pressure, but I do not seem to find where. I have tried to put water to see bubbles to no awail. It is also only leaking down to the pressure of 1.6 Bar. Do anyone have any idea what could be leaking? The keg is emptying out all my Co2.
cheers
Hasse

I helped a friend find his leak and it turned out to be the gas post on the corny keg. It was nicked just above the o-ring which compromised the o-ring itself. It only leaked when gas disconnect was installed on the post.

thanks, sorry for the late reply, family problems... the keg is disconnected all the time, but I will try the different tricks you suggested and I get back to you. cheers

The hatch cover held down with enough wire bale pressure plus the seating area on the cover as well the keg flat not twisted, kinked with deep gouges?
Pressure relief valve or popoff valve sealing properly? I would dought any seam or end cap welds of the corny leaking, post stubs or fittings yes.

Back