Slow Yeast Too Dry Hopping too long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFBuff

Reaction score
Question for everyone, as I feel like I might be between a rock and a hard place.

I did a partial mash rye pale ale (based on a Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye recipe) and am dry hopping for the first time. After 14 days in secondary with an oz of both Columbus and Centennial (10 days in primary where it went from 1.077 to 1.020) I was getting ready to bottle and in moving the Carboy the airlock started bubbling again - vigorously every 30 seconds for 18 hours now. I'm using White Labs WLP051 Cal V, which is a known slow starter.

I feel like I should let it finish and sit, but because of the extended dry hopping am is this going to be a grassy, cat piss like beer?

Suggestions? Should I be concerned?

Thanks.

1.020 is a little high of an FG, but it really depends on the recipe and how much unfermentable sugar is in the wort.

Aside from that, if you added dry hops and started seein airlock activity- that's completely normal, especially with pellet hops. The hops have little pockets of oxygen and the airlock activity is just from pushing that out of the beer (off-gassing).

Sorry, I misread part of that. After 14 days I would expect any off-gassing to be complete but you never know. Take another reading and see if it's below 1.020. If so, let it go a few days and take another. When it's stops dropping you're good. I wouldn't worry too much about grassy flavors until you're nearing or beyond 4 weeks.

Although for future reference, you don't really need a two week dry hop. I usually do 5 days and I either do it the last 5 days before I keg or sometimes in the keg in a hop bag. There's some interesting studies out there on the length of time it takes for the hop oils to dissolve into solution, several suggesting it doesn't take long. 5-7 days and do it as close to the end as you can to keep the flavor and aroma fresh.

Took another reading - ~1.016/1.015ish this morning. I think the act of moving the carboy along with a slightly warmer room (to ~70 degrees from ~64) kick started the fermentation again.

I think I'll let it sit for another day or so.

Thanks for the previous replies.

This fermentation isn't stopping. I'm down to 1.012 and the airlock is still a slow and steady bubble every 3 minutes. A ounce of Cascade and Columbus have been on dry hops for almost 3 weeks now and I'm concerned I'm going to ruin the beer by imparting grassy favors. Should I continue to be patient or would I be okay to bottle this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I still think you can finish it out- shouldnt be too long before its done. the whole grassy flavor thing seems to take longer than people fear. I've heard 4 weeks without problems many times.

If you're that worried you could move it to another vessel until it finishes out but I don't think it's necessary. You can always take a sample and see what it tastes like now. Its close but I wouldn't bottle it because even at 1.012, if you mashed low or used sugar or pitched a ton of yeast you dont quite know just how dry it will finish.

It's probably about done I'd guess, though.

Wait till fermentation is done. I'd rather risk leaving it dry hopped longer than worry about exploding bottles

I've dry hopped several beers in the keg, leaving the hops in until it was kicked. (Over a couple months). I never got any off, grassy or cat per flavors.

I actually began the dry hopping in the primary 5 days after pitching. After 10 total days in the primary (5 of which were dry hopped) I racked to secondary and added 2 more oz thinking that it was fermented out.

Back