Slow to reach boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_caro

Reaction score
Does the length of time for the wort to reach a rolling boiling in the BK have any effect on the product.

My current situation(temporary) is that I cannot achieve a quick heating of the wort but once it reaches a good boil I can maintain it. It is taking around 30 minutes to reach boiling. My preference is not to reduce volumes to achieve faster boil.

doesn't really change anything until you reach boil and evaporation starts and you start adding hops...

fwiw, 30 minutes to hit boil from a cold start doesn't sound out of bounds. My well water never goes above 55°F and unless I want to risk scorching a pot it takes me pretty close to 30 minutes to get a roll going...

Cheers!

If anything it is better, you are creating dms which will boil off once you hit boil. And 30 min is quick, I am at about a hour after I finish my sparge (heating once my element is covered). And at work (10 bbl pub) we are about 3.5 hrs from the start of the sparge (ie have enough in kettle to not burn destroy the bottom)

I heat my first runnings at around 180F by the time it's time to drain second runnings. I start heating my boil volume from around 160, takes me a little more than an hour to reach a boil, running 2 of the kitchen stove's gas burners. Kyle

Back