Slow to carbonate - too much headspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscraig

Reaction score
My first batch from a pre-hopped kit has been in bottles for almost 3 weeks now and there is very little carbonation still. I'm using 16oz bottles, and I'm thinking I may have left too much headspace (about 1 1/2 - 2 inches).

Will this increase the carb time? Do I just need to refrigerate them longer than 24 hours?

I just opened a bottle from my second batch. It's only been in the bottle for 12 days, and it had much more carbonation.

I have some pints, 22 oz bombers and other sizes that I often use, but since I enter contests I usually also do a sixer or two of standard 12 ouncers for entering. And inevitably the 12 ouncers are done at least a week faster than the larger bottles....some times two weeks ahead of time...

Also the rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70 degrees for a normal grav 12 ounce bottle....to carb and condition....It takes longer for the yeasties to convert the larger volume in the bigger bottles to enough co2 in the headspace to be reabsorbed back into the solution...A ration I don't know how much...

Big Kahuna gives a good explanation here...
Simple. It's the ration of contact area just like in a keg. The c02 will need to pressurize the head space (Which takes LESS TIME) in a bigger bottle (More Yeast and sugar, roughly the same head space) but then it has to force that c02 into solution through the same contact area...thus it takes longer.

I recently kegged a batch and then had enough to fill two 750ml bottles. After I added sugar solution there was zero head space - the beer was right upto the cap. How will this affect carbonation ?
I assumed it would be quicker to carbonate as theres no head space that needs to be filled.

More headspace actually typically equals FASTER carbonation.

I know, I know... doesn't SOUND like that would make sense...... just like it doesn't SOUND right that humid air rises instead of sinks (another fact important to the cigar lover - hehe). I won't bore you with the science; if you care (or just don't believe me), Google it...

That said... 3 weeks and not carbonated enough is FAR from a problem, yet. Patience is a HUGE part of home-brewing and those GUIDELINES are just that... guidelines...... and often optimistic because sellers don't want to turn newbies off to the fact that it can take up to several months, depending on the beer, to fully carb in bottles.

My advice - forget about that beer for a month. :)

Cheers!

In my experiences,more head space doesn't equal faster carbonation beyond the head space created by volume displacement created by the bottling wand. If I get 2"+,it'll take longer if it carbs up equal to the rest at all. But I use 12oz bottles exclusively atm.

Back