Slow start with roeselare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a Solera - so yes. It will be in there for many many years. Each year I will dump the trub, remove 15 gallons and replenish with 16 new gallons and a pack of 3763.

Also if I am making a mistake or overlooking something PLEASE let me know - I have thick skin... I know I am pushing the boundaries of things like head space but hey it's what I like to do. This is my first sour.

It's a Solera - so yes. It will be in there for many many years. Each year I will dump the trub, remove 15 gallons and replenish with 16 new gallons and a pack of 3763.

Not concerned with the O2 permeability? I think you're going to end up with a vinegar.

If it was Medium Density Poly you would be spot on. The High Density Poly has been proven by others to keep the O2 down enough - not as much as a barrel but at reasonable levels.

Here is the source of my data (along with a few forums on the topic of HDPE Soleras). This is from Wild Brews. Now the important note is the LARGE HDPE conicals have very thick walls. The smaller ones and buckets are not suitable for sours. Also most smaller conicals are Medium Density instead of high (in the case of the Roto Molds this is true).

A wine barrel will allow 8.5. My conical will allow 20. Higher but not astronomical. There will be a little more of an acidic taste but hopefully bearable. Note that Jeff Sparrow states that the small oak barrel is acceptable (diffusion of 23 - higher than the HDPE conical).

interesting. that article is 15 years old... i'm wondering if thinking hasn't changed on this. a different authority on yeast, JZ, has stated many times that most yeast flavor is generated very early in fermentation, and by the time you have active fermentation (visible churning, etc) most flavors have been created. time to break out my copy of "Yeast" and see if these two arrived at an agreed-to conclusion.

interesting. that article is 15 years old... i'm wondering if thinking hasn't changed on this. a different authority on yeast, JZ, has stated many times that most yeast flavor is generated very early in fermentation, and by the time you have active fermentation (visible churning, etc) most flavors have been created. time to break out my copy of "Yeast" and see if these two arrived at an agreed-to conclusion.

Let's give credit where credit is due. Chris White is listed as the main author. (I think JZ is wrong about as much as he's right…)

Anywho, p67, 1st paragraph, 'Other than these precursors, yeast produces minimal flavor compounds during the lag phase. Yeast produce minimal ethanol at this stage, so ester formation is not a concern. Yeast do not create esters until they first make an appreciable amount of alcohols.' It goes on to say that overpitching does not create optimally healthy yeast, but also that the exponential phase can start in as little as four hours without trouble.

Ugh, thanks for reminding me I've only made it half way through re-reading Yeast. It made no sense the first time, it's a little clearer now. I need to start reading Water, too. :cross:

Would doing a starter with the roeselaire be helpful, or does everyone just pitch straight in? I seem to remember something about doing a starter with a mix throws off the balance.

No, you do not want to use a starter. A starter will just increase the sacc yeast. the pack is designed with a low cell count of sacc to allow the Lacto and Brett to get some traction before the sacc gets going. You will find it slower to start than a normal yeast due to the lower cell count.

You could in theory do a starter of roselare. You just have to compensate for the higher population of the sacch by making a more unfermentable wort. Mashing at 157 or using adjuncts like flaked wheat in much higher than normal quantities. This was going to be my approach when I do a sour the beginning of next year.

You could in theory do a starter of roselare. You just have to compensate for the higher population of the sacch by making a more unfermentable wort. Mashing at 157 or using adjuncts like flaked wheat in much higher than normal quantities. This was going to be my approach when I do a sour the beginning of next year.
i wouldn't make a starter. lacto doesn't like oxygen, so you may be harming their population while increasing the sacch. sacch is easy to come by, the bugs are the main reason one buys 3763.

"compensate for the higher population of the sacch by making a more unfermentable wort" = it will take longer for your beer to sour, because the bugs will need months longer to get their populations to the right levels, then they have to chew through all those unfermentables. bugs work very slowly.

i think investing $7-8 in another smack-pack (and making a starter with that if needed) is better use of resources than waiting 2 years for a beer to get sufficiently sour & complex. i believe that the sacch is Roeselare is 3522 (Ardennes).

aside: why can't wyest make a bugs-only version of Roeselare?!?

I'm going to be trading some of my EYB slurry for a 2nd gen pitch of roeselare, assuming another mid December heat wave doesn't trigger a 3rd pelecule on some of the jugs.

rorypayne said:
Sorry to sound like a noob but I just did my first sour and I wondering what eyb is.

Sorry - meant EBY. EBY/BBA is a wild yeast experiment to help map characteristics of the corresponding samples pulled from commercial sours.

EYB is something else entirely (yeast bank?).

I would def trade but my roselare is only 7 days old and I'm sure the slurry wouldn't be worth much yet. The bugs haven't had n e chance to grow.

Back